Herron VTPH-2A or Manley Chinook mk II phonostage

Anyone have a direct comparison with these two phonostage’s  the Herron and Manley. I currently have a Soundsmith MCP2 MK II with a Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC ⭐️
I also am looking to upgrade my tt, and lets say my head has been spinning. 5-8000 range

current system
primaluna hp premium integrated 
focal Sopra 2
rel s/5 sub
luxman sm-150 cd
marantz tt-151S ( the one Clear audio built)
cardas parasec interconnects 

some tt I have been considering
dr Feickert - woodpecker or Blackbird
vpi
Vertere 
EAT Forte S Fatismo

not a lover of the round look

also have a VPI Classic 3 gently used offered to me by a very reliable source for 3 k

any help is welcomed as I have become overwhelmed.

Thanks
peter 

128x128tastypeter
I happen to own both the Manley Chinook SE as well as the Herron VTPH-2A.   I picked up the Chinook a couple of years ago from UA and,  interestingly enough, at the time they had a lightly used Herron unit for sale for $2,595 which I also considered.  After speaking with Kevin, I ultimately went with the Chinook, which he felt strongly would be a better performer vs. the Herron.  

Having lived with the Chinook for some time, I can say that it has many virtues.  It’s dead silent, has a very organic presentation and pretty good resolution. It’s not a highly analytical phono preamp but it’s very accurate and I’ve definitely enjoyed my time with it (using it with an SME 10 and Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation cartridge).  

Mind you, in direct comparisons with streamed MQA files at 24bits/96kHZ resolution, there were times that I felt the Chinook wasn’t as distinguished in its performance as I would have hoped (I found myself at times preferring the digital file via my Brooklyn Bridge streamer/DAC).  Also,  I was always curious what I might have missed WRT the Herron.  After recently picking up a new VPI for my second system, I ended up purchasing a lightly used VTPH-2A last month, which has allowed me to make direct comparisons with the Chinook in my main (SME-based) system. 

In summary and from my vantage point, the Herron is measurably superior to the Chinook in pretty much every way.  It’s equally as silent, with the music emerging from a truly black background, but it has a much better soundstage presentation with more layers of dimensionality.  It has airier highs without sounding stringent, a more dynamic articulation, more base punch and a spooky dimensionality that the Chinook lacks.  I find myself raising my head all the time admiring how the music is being presented on material that I’m totally familiar with - - I seldom found myself having the same reaction with the Chinook, and to me that was the biggest proof point of the Herron’s superiority.  

While I know that Keith Herron discourages tube rolling, I also have experimented with some NOS tubes as the prior owner had swapped out the original tubes with a set of Genalex Gold Lion reissues.  I’m now running Telefunken 12AX7 Red Tips in the 1st gain stage, Brimar 6060 / CV4024 Yellow-Ts in the 2nd gain stage and a Telefunken ECC801S in the output stage.  This tube complement definitely improved much of the above, particularly as it relates to soundstage dimensionality and the spookiness factor.  It also improved treble articulation.   

In any case, I hope this provides some perspectives on my experience with each phono preamp. 
Haven't heard the Chinook, but that description of the Herron, dynamic, punchy, airy without being stringent, spooky layered dimensionality, is spot on. It also nails instrumental tone and timbre so that each instrument sounds so much more its true individual character. For comparison I had a ARC PH3SE for many years that seemed very neutral until the Herron showed it to be downright colored to a degree I never would have imagined.
We just sold a Zesto Audio Andros Deluxe phono stage that replaced a Manley Chinook. This customer said that the Zesto was significantly better in every way. To be far there is a significant difference in retail price. He immediately sold the Chinook after he took delivery of the Deluxe. I hope to be able to compare the Zesto offerings to the Herron in the near future. The Herron is very good.
Corucia, You say the Herron was "measurably" superior to the Chinook.  I take your assessment of the two units seriously, because you heard them both in your own system over an extended period of time, but in fact, unless you neglected to report it, you didn't "measure" anything.  Best just to say you like the Herron better than the Chinook.  Also, beware the provenance of sexy 12AX7/ECC83s that claim to be Telefunken or Mullard or etc.  There are probably more fakes than real ones of those available in the marketplace these days, especially the TFK ECC801S's.