Can Static Destroy Electronics?

The Story —
I had been listening to records all night, no issues. I put on an album by Junip, brushed the album with my anti static brush, and went to lift the tone arm by the tone arm lift when I heard a loud static pop. Volume was about 30% up. After which, there is no sound in my right channel.
I think the issue is at the output of the phono preamp, because:

- When I switch the L and R input cables at the phono preamp, the left speaker still plays (the R signal stuff), and the right speaker stays silent (meaning the right input must be working)
- When I switch the L and R phono preamp output cables, the right speaker plays the L signal, and the left speaker is silent (meaning the right channel all the way up the chain from the speaker through the signal is working)

So...did static electricity blow my right phono output?

*System*
Thiel 3.6
Mccormack DNA-1
Mccormack ALD-1
Dynavector P-75
Technics SL-1200 mkII
Dynavector 10x5
128x128heyitsmedusty
Very sensitive digital can be effective by static especially in carpeting in the winter where the static is strongest and air  is drier, also  depending on grounding. I have found.
isprat static spray on the rug in front of the stereo in the winter 
it is very effective .
Absolutely yes it can X 2
I always mute my preamp, and touch something metal nearby before changing records this time of year. 
I thought that was the reason for proper grounding...that the chassis directs it back to earth before it ruins anything expensive 
I live here in Nevada and have a constant problem with static discharge and I have thought of putting down a discharge mat in front of my equipment rack with the hope that I can discharge the static to ground before I touch any of my components. If anyone would care to chime in on this I think we all could gain something from this ongoing issue.
Speaking of which is a ESD (electrostatic discharge) compliant mat on Amazon that is about 2X3 feet that provides a path to ground for electrostatic charges for about $105.00, I might get one and let you know.