Class D

Been thinking of trying a D amp to reduce clutter. Most that I see are not rated at 2 ohms.  My PSB Stratus gold's will drop to 3 ohms or lower at some frequencies. So my question is will these types of amps handle this impedance ?
Thanks in advance. Chris
128x128zappas
What's wrong with getting a competent Purifi-based class D power amp from Apollon, March, Nord, etc., and then sticking a nice tubey tube preamp in front of it?
I hooked my $80 Fosi integrated amp (with Bluetooth) to a pair of kef ls50s and have been frankly flabbergasted how good it sounds.  I have heard some highly regarded “audiophile” amps totally strike out with those.  
Just saying.  Can’t go wrong for the price that is for sure.   Returnable off Amazon and nothing to lose to try for peanuts by high end audio standards. 
zappas
D amp to reduce clutter. Most that I see are not rated at 2 ohms.
As said in my first post, they don’t give it as they either turn off going into protection mode, or they are current starved into 2ohms, or the worst oscillate.
Your speakers present a very hard load especially the combined impedance together with - phase angle (EPDR)
And for @justmetoo here’s a link to "try" and understand how speakers torture amps, especially EPDR. (page2)
https://www.stereophile.com/reference/707heavy/index.html

Cheers George
Hi Zappas,

I've used IcePower based Class D with Focal Profiles which drop to a little under 3 Ohms.  They performed just as well as my Parasound A23s in the bass. Maybe better.

Best,

E
Yes, please read about EPDR, then you can tell George he does not understand it just like every other person who understands amplifiers has told him.

Equivalent Peak Dissipation Resistance - i.e. EQUIVALENT resistance to equal peak thermal dissipation. Not peak current supply. Not minimum impedance. The EQUIVALENT (not actual) resistance that would equal the peak THERMAL dissipation.

This only has meaning for traditional amplifiers that operate in the linear region, i.e. Class A, AB. It is where the (current output * (rail voltage - output voltage)) is at a maximum.  With a linear amp, let's say the current output is 10A, and the voltage difference = 40V at some point in time. That would be 400 watts dissipated across the output devices. That is the thermal dissipation in a linear amplifier.

In a Class-D amplifier, the average (as they are switching) voltage in the output devices, while they are conducting, will be a small fraction of a volt. Let's say it is 0.1V at 10A.  The dissipation in the output devices is now 1W.  Notice that the rail voltage does not enter the equation?  Now practically there is a small contribution from the rail voltage, but there is not a direct correlation like in a Class A/ AB amplifier because obviously they don't work the same way.

Now one thing a Class-D amplifer may due is hard limit current which they will "measure" or at least check for a peak on every single switching cycle.  This provides short circuit protection and protection that the output inductors do not enter saturation. As that current will be fixed, this is why in a Class-D amplifier the output power probably does not keep doubling with halving of the output impedance. The power will probably increase a lot between 8 and 4 ohms, because in this case the major limitation in output power is due to the power supply rail voltage. It will likely not double into 2 ohms because you will run into the current limit before the voltage limit.

What does this mean?  As long as the amp does not have stability issues at 2ohms, which most newer ones will not, and you don't drive the amplifier into clipping, then the class-D amp will be just fine into low impedance loads no matter what some people who make claims, but don't understand the underlying technology make.