Confession of a poor power cord pairing for a Pass Labs XA-25

I recently purchased a Pass XA-25 to replace my Nuforce STA-200. I had replaced the power cord on my Nuforce with an entry level Silnote power cord which made a tremendous difference in sound for the Nuforce. However, when I received my XA-25, I apparently was in an extreme hurry and did not install the cord that Pass Labs included.
This evening as I was sorting through a big box of interconnects and power cords, I discovered a power cord that still had its factory twisty tie intact. After a few minutes of deliberation, I realized that this was the power cord that was included with the XA-25. I hooked it up and wow!.. Detail and Bass that I didn't know this amp was capable of.
Moral of the story.... Just because it's factory power cord.. doesn't mean it can't be good.

128x128coachpoconnor
@gadios, in response to your three questions:

1) I purchased a new XA-25 from Reno HiFi. Consistent with their outstanding reputation I found them to be a pleasure to deal with.

2) Yes. I don’t think you would be disappointed.

3) My XA-25 replaced a VAC Renaissance 70/70 MkIII tube amplifier, which uses four 300B tubes per channel and provides 70 wpc. I use Daedalus Ulysses speakers, specified as 97.5 db/1 watt/1 meter, 6 ohms, and which have an extremely flat and benign impedance curve. While the two amps sound somewhat different, of course, I found that the Pass comes remarkably close to the VAC with respect to dimensionality, imaging, liquidity, and other traditional fortes of high quality tube amps. It’s a bit less rich sounding than the VAC, but I interpret that as an increase in accuracy and transparency, which is fine as far as I am concerned.

Among the various glowing reviews of the XA-25, the one by Terry London (Audiogon member Teajay) in hometheaterreview.com was particularly consistent with my findings.

I have 94 Eff. rated speakers so the 30 wpc should be okay.

Note that after leaving class A the XA-25 can produce much more power than specified. Stereophile measured 80 and 130 watts into 8 and 4 ohms respectively. The extremely tight distortion tolerances upon which Pass bases the 25 and 50 watt specifications also factor into the difference between the specified power capabilities and Stereophile’s measurements.

My debate is whether to buy a used set of 60.8 monoblocks
or simplify with the Int. option. Cost close to the same either way.

The 60.8 and the Pass integrateds (if those are what "Int." is referring to in your statement) are different animals than the XA-25, of course, and I would not infer much if anything about the sonics of those models from experiences that are reported with the XA-25.

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al
Hi coachpoconnor, I currently running a pair of 86db sensitivity speakers with a nuforce sta 200, and also very interested to get a xa 25. First great to know it's a definitive improvement! But I was wondering what speaker are you driving and if you think the pass will be enough for my speakers, they are scansonic mb1. Thanks!
@alfau7 No reason not to just ask Pass directly. They'll know better than anyone else and are a pleasure to deal with.   [email protected]
I, too, got a XA-25 from Reno.  $3500 demo, but  you could not tell it wasn't new.  It replaced an Odyssey Khartago.  I love it.  Great place to work with.

I also have it paired with a Pass XP-10 I got used.  My speakers are Salk Exotica monitors.  The word that comes to mind when I listen is "sublime."