It's the stylus...

After 60 (not a typo) years of fooling around with audio I have finally come to the absolute conclusion that the stylus is the most critical part of any vinyl setup. I don't think this is in any way a revolutionary thing to say. It's just that I haven't personally seen anyone say it before. This is by no means saying that all the other elements are not critically important as well but without a superb stylus all the rest is almost completely meaningless. 

This is the place where you cannot afford to spend less or budget. Over the years an astonishing number of different terrific performing cartridges have been produced but without a truly superb stylus they really don't give anything to an otherwise exceptional vinyl setup.

Only because people may ask I currently have in my collection 14 turntables, 4 phono stages, an unknown number of preamps and integrateds with phono sections, countless cartridges and lots more. After that, as to what's most important, I could make the argument for phono stage, cartridge, preamp in that order but I really don't have a dog in that hunt. The stylus is king, all else follows. I do absolutely realize that having something crappy anywhere down the line will throw everything off and make what I am saying .meaningless. 
skywachr
I have finally come to the absolute conclusion that the stylus is the most critical part of any vinyl setup.
Amen.
If the speed is stable, the motor is quiet, the platter bearing spins smoothly, the plinth resists vibration, and the tonearm is sensitive enough to pass along the information gleaned from the grooves, yep...the stylus has a lot of influence on the subsequent sound. However, it’s also really important to match the compliance of the stylus correctly with the effective mass of the tonearm, as well as mating the cartridge impedance correctly with the pre-amp.
Stylus compliance. Interesting. Never even knew there was any. Coulda sworn the stylus was incredibly rigidly attached to the cantilever. Learn something new every day,.
I do absolutely realize that having something crappy anywhere down the line will throw everything off and make what I am saying .meaningless.
+1

When everything is perfect then the contact point has the first and final word, but only till then. But i can live with a better table and less arm or cartridge/stylus
G