Amp for Focal Scala Utopia

Hi all,

I have just acquired some Focal Scala Utopia speakers. I am going to need new amps to drive them as my mcintosh c2300 and mc275 will not cut the mustard I think.

Anyway - I was considering being a bit radical and trading everything in for a devialet. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I prefer a sound with lots of resolution but retaining musicality. I would like a faster sound than the mac and more detail. I really like a deep soundstage too.

Thanks in advance. I have 2 sources - a vpi classic with all the bits and a Benz lps. Digital is akurate ds.

Thank you
c2300mc275
Bryston 28bsst2 monos with a Placette Active Preamp. Will shame anything else on the planet.
The MC275 is one of the best amp's I've ever owned. I'd upgrade your preamp first, then if you feel you need more power, add a second MC 275. Also, upgrade your tubes in your amp if you have not already done so.
Second that from Pdreher...another MC275 run in mono with upgraded tubes. Also, change fuse and power cord as adding a level of detail.
C2300mc275, I wouldn't be doing anything until I got the speakers and experimented.

I have heard twice now this devialet paired up with your speakers and the Stella's and did not have me convinced but then I heard it with some Tanoy's sounded better but the sound stange appeared compressed specially when it came to the height of performers. The same Tanoy set-up heard a Jadis and was marvelous, nice stage height etc. and prefered such.

I heard your speaker paired up with ARC gear and sounded marvelous.

Best of luck and enjoy!
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your replies!

Jimateo - I have not got my speakers yet so not tried the Mc with them as yet- they might be great, although I do worry about the 3.1ohm dip causing a little difficulty for the mc275.

Jaxwired - the Bryston sound is a little too clinical for me - I used to be a Bryston owner and left the brand for more musicality, which I found with the mac. I did miss the extreme resolution of the Bryston tho.

Pdreher - I am running gold lion kt88s and 12ax7s as I found these to be the best tube sound for my taste. I thought the c2300 was meant to be pretty darn good? I mean many of the guys on audio afficionado are running the c2300 as their pre with 601s for example.

Lapierre - I am using Nordost Vishnu power cords. What does the fuse do and what brand?

Dev - appreciate the warning. The devialet is off the agenda now as my dealer is offering such pathetic exchange prices!

I have considered the 2 mc275 route also bud wife not too keen about floor space. Lol.

Thanks and please keep your suggestions coming!