Amp for Focal Scala Utopia

Hi all,

I have just acquired some Focal Scala Utopia speakers. I am going to need new amps to drive them as my mcintosh c2300 and mc275 will not cut the mustard I think.

Anyway - I was considering being a bit radical and trading everything in for a devialet. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I prefer a sound with lots of resolution but retaining musicality. I would like a faster sound than the mac and more detail. I really like a deep soundstage too.

Thanks in advance. I have 2 sources - a vpi classic with all the bits and a Benz lps. Digital is akurate ds.

Thank you
c2300mc275
Second that from Pdreher...another MC275 run in mono with upgraded tubes. Also, change fuse and power cord as adding a level of detail.
C2300mc275, I wouldn't be doing anything until I got the speakers and experimented.

I have heard twice now this devialet paired up with your speakers and the Stella's and did not have me convinced but then I heard it with some Tanoy's sounded better but the sound stange appeared compressed specially when it came to the height of performers. The same Tanoy set-up heard a Jadis and was marvelous, nice stage height etc. and prefered such.

I heard your speaker paired up with ARC gear and sounded marvelous.

Best of luck and enjoy!
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for your replies!

Jimateo - I have not got my speakers yet so not tried the Mc with them as yet- they might be great, although I do worry about the 3.1ohm dip causing a little difficulty for the mc275.

Jaxwired - the Bryston sound is a little too clinical for me - I used to be a Bryston owner and left the brand for more musicality, which I found with the mac. I did miss the extreme resolution of the Bryston tho.

Pdreher - I am running gold lion kt88s and 12ax7s as I found these to be the best tube sound for my taste. I thought the c2300 was meant to be pretty darn good? I mean many of the guys on audio afficionado are running the c2300 as their pre with 601s for example.

Lapierre - I am using Nordost Vishnu power cords. What does the fuse do and what brand?

Dev - appreciate the warning. The devialet is off the agenda now as my dealer is offering such pathetic exchange prices!

I have considered the 2 mc275 route also bud wife not too keen about floor space. Lol.

Thanks and please keep your suggestions coming!
IMO I have to agree with your thoughts about the 275 being too slow and not detailed enough for your speakers,that was my reasons for moving on with that amp when I owned one a few years ago.I think thats one of the down sides of McIntosh.I also dont think an additional 275 would solve your issues really.Although I havent heard the new MC452,its touted as being faster with better detail than what Mac has done in the past.Might be worth a listen
Hi Missioncoonery - yep the mc452 is on the audition list for sure.

This might sound mad, but a dealer suggested the bel canto ref1000m mk2 also. Any thoughts from you guys on this? Would the c2300 and bel canto monos work I wonder?