Klipsch RP-600M & Klipsch R-12SW Sub Or Focal JM Lab-Cobalt 806 & Focal JM Lab SW 800 Sub?

Good morning everyone! First time poster here. I have the opportunity to buy a pair of Focal JM Lab-Cobalt 806 Bookshelf Speakers and a Focal JM Lab SW 800 Subwoofer for let's say less than a $1000 (The seller has allowed me some "wiggle room" as far as the pricing.) The aforementioned speakers come in ALL of their original packaging, original boxes and are like in brand new condition.

I bought a pair of Klipsch RP-600Ms in 2022 and they too are in MINT condition but without the box they came in. I also bought a Klipsch R-12SW subwoofer in which is also in the same condition and I do have the box for that one.

I have read a lot of great things/reviews from these specific Focals and the Focal sub and I am thinking about selling my entire Klipsch setup and buy the Focal setup (I like to keep it "all in the family" if you know what I mean.)

What do you say/think? Do any of you have any experience(s) with these Focal speakers/sub?

By the way, I have a Marantz NR1711 7.2 receiver. I listen to mostly streaming (HEOS) on the Marantz, CDs from an Integra CDC-3.4 6 Disc cd changer and a Yamaha KX-W952 cassette deck (I have other tape decks as well.) I listen to mostly Dance/Electronica. Some Latin Jazz, no gaming or watching movies. basically, it would be another 2.1 setup like the Klipsch setup I have now.

I would really appreciate your help and advice on this one you guys and girls.

Have a great and safe day!

PS: If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Thanks!

tampabaycenter

There are lots of good speakers out there, what is your budget?

I have not been a big fan of Focal’s lower end models. Focals good speakers start with the Sopra line for me, everything else is too rough in frequency response.

maybe read up on the source point 8 speakers or  arendal  Both are up and coming brands with solid measurements. 

for what it is worth I have owned both focal and Klispch… 

Hi James633! Thanks for your reply! My budget is $700 tops for a pair of bookshelves.

I will check out the Source Point 8 and Arendal speakers you recommended. Thanks!

Ok well both my recommendations will blow up your budget…

specifically I have heard both the RP600M and a bit higher model of Klipsch sub than you have. I think the speakers are pretty good and the subs is pretty bad. A sub upgrade would make a huge difference but I am not sure the focals will be better speakers and might just be different. You may or may not like them better.

It’s always subjective. Focal makes some great stuff, but I’m not impressed with their lower end speakers I’ve heard. My son has the Focal/JM Labs Chorus 815 and 805, and they’re pretty darn middle of the road if you ask me. The sub is good IMO.   My opinion is the same with most of the Klipsch lower end stuff. All just profit boxes.

What sound characteristics are you looking for that the Klipsch isn't giving you? The RP600M is a fun speaker albeit somewhat colored in its presentation. In this price range I prefer the Wharfedale Diamond 12.2. I owned both of these speakers and sold them off. I regret selling the Wharfedales.

Music Direct currently has an open box special in black for $479.

Have a look at this Steve Gutttenberg review where he compares them with Klipsch RP600M, B&W 607 S2, and Monitor Bronze 100's. Perhaps you'll find some of this information useful.  

If it were me, I'd also look at upgrading your Marantz receiver to a better integrated amplifier. 

Hey audionoobie! Thanks for your recommendations and Youtube link. Well, it’s rather strange to explain it but, I feel with the Klipsch, they are "hiding" something from me. I would like more midrange and more in the highs department. As far as the Bass, I know that it’s a 6.5 incher. I mean, you can only get so much out of a 6.5 midbass woofer. I have the Klipsch 12" subwoofer to handle the lows.

I like the review on between the Whaferdale Vs the Klipsch. When you said that you regret selling the Whaferdales, that says a lot. You must have loved those speakers.

I’m still searching and looking around reviews and recommendations. The one thing about the Whaferdales that I wish were different is the fact that the sensitivty is 86.5db. Rather low from the 96.5db (give or take) from the Klipsch.

The reason that I got the Marantz NR1711 is because an older 5.1 Yamaha receiver clunked out after many years of service and I caught the Marantz for $500 (at the time that I bought it, it was at $1,200 and the guy that was selling was downsizing because he lost his job and what not and was selling a lot of stuff.) I’m pretty happy with it but then again, I’m a huge Yamaha fan.

What intergraded amplifier would recommend for a 2.1 setup like mine if I were to get the Whaferdales?

Thanks!

@tampabaycenter I think the midrange is more fleshed out with the Wharfedale's and the overall presentation leans more toward neutral. 

I ran them with a Belles Aria 75 watt integrated amp which can had for around $1500 used. I didn't think the Wharfedales were difficult to drive but I have a small room and wasn't looking for dance club level volumes. 

I also think the fit and finish of the Wharefedales is a couple notches better than the Klipsch. They are very solid and heavy for their size. 

I'm not trying to sway you in any way but maybe put these on your audition list. 

The Klispch sensitivity is actually 85db-ish. Klispch uses in room measurements to rate their efficiency which is more or less lying  

“The sensitivity is 85.2dB @ 2.83v/1m, despite Klipsch rating this speaker at 96dB (using in-room, half-space conditions)”

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/klipsch_rp_600m_i/

Post removed