What made you put together your first 2nd system?

Did you just have lots of spare equipment and figured why not? Did you have a spare room, hobby room, shop, or office that needed better sound? Did you want to set up separate music and home theater systems? Or digital and vinyl rigs?

What was the final thing that pushed you over the edge?

cat_doorman
I have two “second systems”. One is the basement in my exercise space and is composed of leftover components that I hung on to too long and when I finally decided to sell them I learned just how much they had depreciated so kept them. The second “second system” is at our country cabin and is built around gear that I always lusted after way back when I was getting started in this hobby, but couldn’t afford then like the beautiful Meitner mahogany encased mono blocs and pre.  Depreciation works both ways 😀

Then there’s the Oppo/B&K/Totem video surround setup, the Pioneer receiver/Advent garage setup, backyard Onkyo/Polk setup, bedroom Scott/Design Acoustics setup. I’m sure I’m forgetting something, but I don’t really consider these “systems”. Way too much stuff!
Clear from the OP that second systems are not done out of dissatisfaction for the first, pace ebm. 

If I start a second system, it would likely get its fuel from two different motives; first, I have extra gear that is not worth selling nor worth giving away. Example, I have some Adcom gear that sounds quite decent but is not worth much. It could form a nice second system.

Another motive might be to have a solid state system with different power and speakers which crave it OR a low power system with high efficiency speakers and a sweet low-watt tube amp.
First 2nd system came about when we bought a log home in the mountains.  Wanted some music so had an extra CDP and tuner. Bought a new Grommes PHI-26 and used Klipsch Quartets.  No Phone or internet.
Three systems, one in each of the places in my house where I spend a good deal of time, living room, office and garage workshop. All of them are tied together by WiFi so that I can move from place to place without any interruption in what's playing.