Speaker Positioning

I know from speaker position is critical in achieving the best results from a given system. Is there a dynamic way to measure placement of each speaker to make certain they are the exact same distances from back/side wall, cabinets, seating, etc. beyond a measuring tape and listening to the results? Seems to me if minor differences pay large returns, you could be tinkering with this a long time.  Thanks for the indulgence.  
128x128sj00884
The people at Soundings in Denver feel strongly about MASTER SETTING speakers.  I went with the triangle method and as soon as I moved my towers forward from the front wall, I notice a lot of improvement.  This group is extremely knowledgeable about this and I found this discussion interesting.  Guess this is what this hobby is all about.  What still amazes me is I have a realtor send me listings of homes on the market every day and I have yet to see a pair of stereo speakers standing in one of their rooms.  They invest in $5,000 entertainment cabinets and listen to their TV speakers.  I have always heard sound when watching movies is about 70% of the experience.  Also, they spend all of this money on a home and don't even listen to music.  We invite our neighbors over and it is enjoyable to sit down over a few glasses of wine and play music.  They just love it.  I think retail stores and dealers need to send out direct mail pieces to a certain demographic and increase their sales.  It is difficult to sell anything without marketing.
So the new setup is in place, and I decided to add ceramic cable risers for shats and gigs making a direct comparison all but impossible.  That said, preliminary results are promising. Just have to sample a broader spectrum of material. One thing is certain, the source material is further “exposed” as any weaknesses are more profound. Same on the quality side. :)
Some good advice given by some knowledgeable members. 
Some useless ramblings by a few blokes that love the sound of their own voice.   Sounds like you found the intelligent posts and making headway on your quest.  Congrats and enjoy the journey!
Good luck having your head consistently in the same spot, to the mm every time you listen.
@audio2design, more critical is ear placement on ones head.  I had mine adjusted to be perfectly equidistant from a center line I had tattooed down the center of my face.

Once I got my ears properly placed, the imaging really snapped into focus.  Highly recommended but as always, ymmv.