Speaker Positioning

I know from speaker position is critical in achieving the best results from a given system. Is there a dynamic way to measure placement of each speaker to make certain they are the exact same distances from back/side wall, cabinets, seating, etc. beyond a measuring tape and listening to the results? Seems to me if minor differences pay large returns, you could be tinkering with this a long time.  Thanks for the indulgence.  
128x128sj00884

Showing 1 response by larry5729

The people at Soundings in Denver feel strongly about MASTER SETTING speakers.  I went with the triangle method and as soon as I moved my towers forward from the front wall, I notice a lot of improvement.  This group is extremely knowledgeable about this and I found this discussion interesting.  Guess this is what this hobby is all about.  What still amazes me is I have a realtor send me listings of homes on the market every day and I have yet to see a pair of stereo speakers standing in one of their rooms.  They invest in $5,000 entertainment cabinets and listen to their TV speakers.  I have always heard sound when watching movies is about 70% of the experience.  Also, they spend all of this money on a home and don't even listen to music.  We invite our neighbors over and it is enjoyable to sit down over a few glasses of wine and play music.  They just love it.  I think retail stores and dealers need to send out direct mail pieces to a certain demographic and increase their sales.  It is difficult to sell anything without marketing.