Speaker Positioning

I know from speaker position is critical in achieving the best results from a given system. Is there a dynamic way to measure placement of each speaker to make certain they are the exact same distances from back/side wall, cabinets, seating, etc. beyond a measuring tape and listening to the results? Seems to me if minor differences pay large returns, you could be tinkering with this a long time.  Thanks for the indulgence.  
128x128sj00884
So the new setup is in place, and I decided to add ceramic cable risers for shats and gigs making a direct comparison all but impossible.  That said, preliminary results are promising. Just have to sample a broader spectrum of material. One thing is certain, the source material is further “exposed” as any weaknesses are more profound. Same on the quality side. :)
Some good advice given by some knowledgeable members. 
Some useless ramblings by a few blokes that love the sound of their own voice.   Sounds like you found the intelligent posts and making headway on your quest.  Congrats and enjoy the journey!
Good luck having your head consistently in the same spot, to the mm every time you listen.
@audio2design, more critical is ear placement on ones head.  I had mine adjusted to be perfectly equidistant from a center line I had tattooed down the center of my face.

Once I got my ears properly placed, the imaging really snapped into focus.  Highly recommended but as always, ymmv.
Hey Larry, Merry Christmas!
Wheres Oldhvymec??  He’d be proud...  I’m up 2 positive remarks today.  I think Im a changed Man 😝

As for speaker placement, I just switched my rig from the short wall to the long wall.  Pulled the speakers a ridiculous distance away from the front wall in order to smooth out the bass as much as possible.  Its a nearfield setup now which allows me to hear more detail.  I still have a great soundstage.  Nice and wide and deep too.  
Speaker placement can have huge effects on a speakers performance and its free so why not try a few different locations for fun!