High end Class D amps?

Just an observation and a question. Are there 'high end' Class D amps out there that are just as good as Class A, A/B amps? I realize that's a sensitive question to some and I mean no disrespect---but whenever I see others' hifi systems on social media, all of the amps are A or A/B. There's always Pass, McIntosh, Moon, Luxman, Accuphase, etc. Where are the Class Ds? For folks out there that want more power for less efficient speakers and can't afford the uber expensive Class As, A/Bs, what is there to choose from that's close to those brands? Thanks
bluorion
I am waiting for Ralph Karsten's Class D amp to become available.
If anyone can design a good amp, it is Atmasphere.
B
Got to say, I've listened to a couple of them based on older Hypex modules, and I thought they sounded really good. I can't help but wonder if some of the negative sentiment is not entirely based on sound.
IMO the components and speakers that you are going to use with Class D amps are very important.  I know Merrill personally and I also know Tommy Obrien. Both are dedicated to their products.  I have heard them in various systems some that sounded really good and then others that did not impress me.  I am a tube guy so I like the dimension soundstage that tubes offer. 
robertjerman,
I hope that you were kidding about the Crown 1502. I owned it and it was the worst amp I have ever used. There are good ones, and Jeff Rowland is among them. 
I would add a couple more brands to those already mentioned by goldprintaudio and roxy54 that I personally own and know are very good:

$ Class D Audio
$$ Emerald Physics
$$$ D-Sonic

I used the number of $ symbols to denote general price level, the more symbols the higher the general prices from the brand. The truth is there are a lot of very good class D amps currently available, ranging in price from about $500 to $50K plus. I’m fairly certain more good brands and models will be mentioned.

It seems like you’re already aware that there’s generally a wide range of opinions on the sound quality and performance levels of class D amps. Based on prior threads on class D, you’re likely to receive the usual parroted claims of ’it’s only good enough for powering subs’, ’there’s something wrong or missing from the sound’, ’it sounds overly sterile or bright’ and ’it’s not quite as good the best traditional amp types yet’.

When I read these type of replies, I usually assume that most of these individuals have obviously never listened to a high quality class D amp and simply just don’t know what they don’t know. I suggest you try to listen to several high quality class D amps, as well as several traditional high quality amps, and rely on your own sound quality perceptions, preferences and judgement.

It’s important for you to realize, however, that many good quality class D amps are sold online only and are not readily available to audition at some retailers. But this has its benefits, too, since this has typically resulted in lower amp prices and most class D companies offer free in-home trial periods of their amps for about a month.

Just like other amp types, not all class D amps sound the same. Based on the 3 class D amps I own and the many I’ve listened to, however, my opinion is that they all share some similar basic qualities: very good bass response due to exceptionally high rated damping factors, an overall neutral presentation along with very low distortion levels and a dead-quiet background noise floor, which results in high levels of detail and a very realistic and 3 dimensional sound stage illusion.

If you’re looking for a high powered amp or amps to drive a pair of inefficient speakers, that are also very competitive sound quality wise with the better class A and AB amps but are less expensive, I’m not aware of a better solution than a good quality class D amp or pair of monoblocks.

I was searching for virtually the same thing as you are about 8 years ago, after my Aragon 4004 MKII high powered class AB amp died on me, and I needed a reasonably priced, high powered replacement amp to drive my inefficient, 86 db/at 1 W, Magnepan 3-way dipole main speakers.

I bought my very 1st class D amp, a Class D Audio SDS-440-CS stereo class D amp, for about $600 and was amazed how well this amp drove my pair of Magnepans. I remember being stunned that this relatively inexpensive amp, that was about 1/4th the size, weight and price of my former Aragon amp, was able to significantly outperform it in every category I care about while consuming a fraction of the electricity and never getting warmer than tepid to the touch.

I was so impressed, I bought an Emerald Physics EP100.2SE stereo and a pair of D-Sonic M3-600-M monoblock class D amps in fairly quick succession, mainly out of curiosity and to explore just how well these newer type amps actually perform.

I discovered the D-Sonic monoblocks are the best amps I’ve ever used thus far on my Magnepans. They’re about $2,100/pair, I’ve been using these for the past 6 years, they’ve been powered on 24/7 the entire 6+ years and they’re still performing great.

If these are within your budget, I suggest you at least audition a pair of these for a month for free. I seriously doubt you’ll want to send them back for a full refund.

Best wishes,
Tim