Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
I want update my journey with the Thiel CS3.7 now that some changes were made.

1) A speaker repair tech came to my house today and re-soldered the crossover wires to the tweeter and midrange of my right speaker. They were wired out-of-phase during a prior DIY OEM COAX replacement. The speaker seller has volunteered to pay for todays repair.

2) I discovered a damaged screw thread on the left speaker frame. Rob Gillum pointed me to a toolkit to repair that. It is being shipped to me now ($44). The original speaker dealer seems to have gone torque crazy with the driver screws.

3) I will sandpaper and lacquer the speaker because this speaker is never leaving. Rob Gillum gave me instructions on best approaches for that.

4) I ordered the outriggers from Rob G. for the day that my 4 year old son decides to climb the speaker.

After #1 was done today the speaker sound just opened up. The harshness is gone and the soundstage is huge the imaging is better. Just like I remembered 12 years ago at the store demo. I think it actually sounds better today on my all Benchmark stack than the all Classe gear of the demo.

Getting to that Benchmark stack. I have been disparaging the AHB2 Stereo amp with the CS3.7. Saying it sounds lean and not dynamic. I was thinking in my small room 194 watts at 4 Ohms should have worked. The amp also goes down to 2 Ohms but I do not remember the numbers for that. However, the sound was not that good wherever I positioned the speakers. I think I said on a scale of 100 it felt like a 75, even less on dynamic music. Today, after the out-of-phase fix the sound is powerful, dynamic and glorious. I would say a 95 out of 100 now. The room is still there so not a 100.

I am kind of curious still about the CODA #8 amp with the CS3.7 but I do know that the AHB2 will never leave this system. I caught a lucky break by not selling it a few days ago to fund the purchase of the #8.

So in a small room, see my Virtual Systems, the Thiel CS3.7 + an all Benchmark stack (with a single AHB stereo amp) sounds amazing.

I will explore the DRC implementation tomorrow now that the drivers are working right.

BTW - I was just thinking that reason that the it was easy for me to hear the out-of-phase problem was because of the revealing nature of the Benchmark gear.

I also now feel that for my room the Luxman m900u and the CODA #16 would also be viable alternative amps. I do not need the massive amounts of power at 2 Ohms for this room.
@jafant I ordered the Mofi version of Santana’s Caravanserai. My current SME version now sounds better on the CS3.7 than on my Meze Empy headphones. It sounded better on the headphones prior to my speaker repair today.

Looking forward to the MoFi version since you say it is the better version.
yyzsantabarbara

Thank You for the update. After a few listens to the MoFi- let me know how the 2 discs compare in sound quality.

Happy Listening!
@xyzsantabarbara, Yes, for a small room you can get away with less power. But, it’s at 2 Ohms where you need it. The 3.7’s don’t just visit that impedance, that’s where they live. What you don’t need is massive amounts of power at 8 Ohms; they don’t go there. Keep in mind that 2 Ohms loads are about 1/4 as sensitive as 8 Ohm loads. It’s all about what the amp can do in the actual working conditions at hand, all else is moot.
@unsound I hear you. I have very good sound now, I cannot stop listening. However, I think there is still another level I can get with more power. I sent Rory Rail at Benchmark an email asking about a second AHB2. I know 2 AHB2 and the CS3.7 has been discounted on this thread but I wanted to get confirmation from Benchmark before I close the door on that.

I forgot how fast the C3.7 sounds. Just an incredible speaker. I am incredibly happy I went with the CS3.7 over the newer speakers I had demoed and liked a lot. I love the CS3.7 sound, it just feels correct.