Cartridge reliability

Not having purchased a cartridge in at least 15 years, and probably more, I’m curious what has been your recent experience with cartridge reliability. Any cartridge failures? Significant channel imbalance? Loss of a channel? Suspension collapse? Etc. My focus is on moving coil cartridges.

I’m trying to get an idea of which manufacturers are tops in terms of reliability/QC and which have a thing or two to yet learn. I’m asking as my cartridge, though still sounding quite nice, surely can’t last forever. 
For instance, I’ve read about some albeit quite rare problems with Lyra, but I can’t recall ever hearing about any Dynavector issues. I have heard of some issues with Goldring 

your own user experience is appreciated!

thanks! 
128x128zavato
Zavato, I think cartridges as a whole are pretty reliable. As far as problems are concerned I would get the cartridge from a reputable dealer and company that will stand by their products.
Having just lost lost a stylus off a Clearaudio Charisma, a $2000 MM cartridge with the cantilever and stylus of the Goldfinger I can say that Elusive Disc and the importer Musical Surroundings performed splendidly sending a new replacement based just on the USB microscope pictures I sent them. They also sent me a shipping label to return the bad one. You can't possibly ask for more. 
I shy away from cottage MC makers as the support tends to be limited. 
Stay with the major manufacturers and you should be fine. As for Lyra there response to problems is brisk. Jonathan Carr, Lyra's designer frequently posts here. I would have no problem buying one of his cartridges. I have not heard of any problems with Dynavector. They are sold by Upscale Audio, Music direct and the Cable Company. I would check reviews and see if they is a "Best" performer in this group. I have had so much great experience with Elusive Disc I intend to stay with them for the products they carry. Unfortunately, they do not carry Dynavector. 
I have never had a problem with Lyra cartridges.  The out-of-the-box quality, based on alignment of the cantilever and stylus, has been flawless, and I've never had problems with the cantilever tilting in one direction over time.  While some may be concerned with the exposed position of the stylus and cantilever of Lyra cartridges, I actually prefer this type of cartridge because it makes alignment and cleaning much easier.  I know a number of people with Koetsu cartridges and I have never heard of problems with that brand.  

Almost of the problems I've heard about cartridges involve accidents and user error.  I've heard from several people about problems they had with particularly delicate cartridges when cleaning with those sticky gel pads that one is suppose to put the stylus into and then lift the tonearm out of the gel.  I've heard of several instances where the cantilever was left in the pad.  

Aside from such damage, I think premature cartridge failure is a fairly rare occurrence.  
Based on your post, you're overthinking it. 

All brands have a bad experience or two from users. Most brands will have some degree of warranty to cover unexpected failure.
Whats your Budget like and what are you going to mount the cartridge on ?

Have had many Lyra Cartridges they are excellent, Clear Audio, Excellent too. Dynavector superb as well.  Look into ZYX too they sound fantastic.  There literally are so many great MC cartridges available today.

Good Listening 

Peter