Equipment purchase that made you want to get off the Merry Go Round (good or Bad)

So, I just auditioned another pair of speakers after reading the reviews and getting caught up in the hype. 
I won't name any specifics since I'd rather not start that type of debate.
Anyway, I was excited to get them but once I hooked them up ran them for a week my impression of the sound was these aren't for me. Nothing new here we have all done this a some point in our quest for great audio. 
However this time I had the strong feeling that I am staying put for a long while unless something breaks. 

Have you ever reach the conclusion that you are done for a while either because you maybe found the missing puzzle and achieved the sound you are looking for or in my case over-reached and bought something you didn't need falling prey to the hype of reviews,  
dougsat
“When I bought my Silverline Bolero speakers I closed the book on that pursuit.”

I loved my Bolero speakers and every time Newbee mentions them I feel a tug at my heartstrings. Great final speaker. 
I typically only purchase audio stuff out of a need for a particular sound that I like, I dont know how to explain it other then it has to sound "right" for me. I am sure that everyone has a different "right" sound they are chasing otherwise we wouldnt be spending money on this hobby. I also wanna say that to spend the minimum amount possible and still achieve the results your looking for is quite a feat. Spending $$ comes from a love of music that started at a very young age with my father having a fairly decent system and playing it loudly on weekend mornings.

Over the years I had obtained different pieces of gear and I put together some dam good sounding systems.......THE BAD: I had a pair of Mirage M3 speakers ($3000 1989) and after having those for 10 years I grew tired of the giant monolithic look and downsized to a pair of EPOS ES 22’s ($2500) then because I was unhappy I purchased 2 more($1500 got a deal)!! Having four speakers was a improvement but not the "right" sound, I know just shoot me. THE GOOD: It REALLY started for me around the year 2002 when I purchased a pair of Dynaudio Contour 3.0 floor standing speakers ($5000), then around 2008 I  bought a real sweet amplifier and traded my MC7200 for a McIntosh MC352 Double balanced push pull stereo amp ($4500). The quest for a great sounding Pre Amp led me to the Manley Labs Jumbo Shrimp tubed line stage $2100 (2015). My quest for the ultimate turntable led me too the JA Michell Gyro SE $3800 (2017) after having Thornes and Project high end tables, the Gyro SE has the "right" sound for me. I also added a Manley labs Chinook Phonostage $1700 and a Dynavector 20X2L $995 around 2014. All of these upgrades brought me to the "right " sound I have today and for the last 3-4 years I have been very content with my system and I have been listening!

P.S. Components I didnt keep or replaced included a Project Xtension 10 ,Clear Audio Maestro V2 ebony MM , Rega P3, Dynavector 10X5 HOMC, Grado Sonata Reference MI, BAT VK 32se pre amp, Modwright SWL 9.0 linestage (excellent pre),McIntosh MC7200, McIntosh C41, McIntosh MC7300, C32 pre amp, McIntosh MC2255, Mirage M3 spks, Epos ES 22 spks.

This only took 15-20 years...lol

Matt M
Bought my receiver in 1981. First and last. Speakers in 1989; 2nd and last. TT in 1984, 2nd and last. Cartridges....I have 90 carts. But I rotate the 20 I like best.
In the same way I breakdown my stock portfolio I went back and ran a Financial plan on my quest for sound. Results were that I have made some good buy and some bad buys. Like stocks I move on from bad buys and hopefully learn from it. Trouble is there is always another Apple hopeful coming to market that we belly up to the hype from the analysts and can’t miss out on. This platform is just like stock analysts with recommendations and we take the bait. Then throw in new technologies and the game never ends.