smaller speakers for critical listening?

I'm curious whether folks out here think that standmount speakers can reward "critical listening." 

I know that may be a ridiculous question; of course one can sit down with Radio Shack speakers and engage in serious listening, and of course the experience is subjective for all of us. I'm actually asking for subjective responses here. If your goal is a system for critical listening, do you think smaller speakers can do the trick or do you need the bigger soundstage and depth that can come with floor-standing, planar, or electrostatic speakers? 

I'm not asking which is *better* in a given speaker line, the small ones or the big ones, and I'm not thinking about $50k Wilson-Benesch Endeavours or the like. Before the pandemic I auditioned some highly enjoyable standmount speakers in the $5k-$10k range. However, listening for an hour in a store, I couldn't tell whether they crossed the threshold from "terrific sound for a small speaker" to pull-up-a-chair-and-tune-out-the-world bliss.

As you can probably tell, I'm struggling with my room; it's very hard to place big speakers in it. Otherwise I'd buy Maggies or Vandersteens or JA Perspectives, etc, and be happy. And, to repeat, I know that the threshold for critical-listening speakers is subjective. I'm asking for opinions and experiences!
northman
+1 Russ

I still don’t understand why anyone would choose stand mounted mini’s, when a small tower takes up the same amount of floor space and has better, deeper, more realistic bass response.  The cost of good stands usually evens out the value proposition.  I’m happy with my PMC F1b signatures.  Same space requirement as stand mounts, narrow baffle, fit my relatively small apartment, but real bass down to 28 hz. Why give that up? Music doesn’t sound right to me with truncated bass response.  

+1 jl35 and +1 Russ 

I struggled with this some time ago...as I had some tekton lore reference that I loved, but simply over-energized my space.

I was considering some monitors on stands, but found a great deal on some Totem Arros. Not nearly on the same order as the PMC’s Lloyd mentioned, But still..wow. Refinement, imaging, detail, TONE, low mid body, textured bass, beautiful mids and plenty of air...even when only 15 inches from the back wall. Listening bliss to me, and I’m pretty neurotic on a good day. Small floorstanders. Just make sure they’re on good plinths and outriggers, or they topple!
Music culture rl-21. Some of the best stand mounts I’ve ever heard. From Germany. Davis low/ mid drivers from France and usher silk dome tweeters. Just spectacular. Very hard speaker to locate in USA. I’ve got some diapason adamantes. They are awesome as well. All scan speak drivers with beautiful walnut cabinets. 
The monitor audio platinum 100 generation 2 are beautiful sounding very warm and natural