Is this an Upgrade or a Lateral Move?

So, what I think may be "upgradeitis" is starting to hit. My Mom passed away from COVID this past April and, as part of my grief protocol, I’ve been listening to A LOT of music. I’ve had a BAT VK-3i preamp since ’03 and really dig it. I was thinking about moving to a BAT VK-33 (not the "se") which is dual mono ... the VK-3i isn’t. Otherwise, the two preamps are very similar in structure (e.g., xlr and rca outputs/inputs), and the VK-33 appears to me to be somewhat of an update of the VK-3i. So, the question is ... would the move be an upgrade or a lateral move? BTW, I’m using BAT VK-225se power amp (I like the BAT synergy) and JA Pulsars (v1). What say ye?
rlb61
FWIW, I had a vk3i many years ago, late 90s. I won a VK-30 in an online contest and while waiting for it to be delivered, I sold the 3i. This was a mistake because to my ears the 3i was the better preamp. I didn't keep the 30 long before I moved it on out. 

Oz 
rlb61, I'm very sorry about your Mom. Some good music, maybe some she liked will help.
Thanks to everyone for your condolences. They are very much appreciated. In this difficult time, music has been my solace, both from a listening and playing perspective. 
My condolences on the loss of your mom. And music is so healing I am glad it's helping you rlb61.
I think you will be moving sideways as you say the circuits are practically the same . See if you might be able to actually hear the piece in your system before commiting yourself. If not try going for a more upper level Bat preamp .