...bookshelf speakers that sound good at low volume...

Hello to all...

Looking for new bookshelf speakers that sound good at low volume

CD-only listening; powering with 35w/8ohm Monoprice integrated, with silver interconnects; speaker cable home made twisted 14g solid core copper, bare wire connected to JBL L25 "PRIMA" Big 2-ways...

In approx. 14’ x14’ room in apt: multi use area - dining/kitchen/tv-gaming

If dedicated listening: approx 8’away (speaker cabinets 6’ center to center; speakers are not mirror-image const.)

Speakers sound great at medium+ volume - they really sing - but are really muddy and not detailed at low volume.

Options: replace integrated with vintage or new 50-75w/ch (with or without DAC) OR new or vintage bookshelf speakers... budget $500-$1000 max.

Located in Metro NYC area...

At present - I am gonna keep the JBLs: could their low volume presentation change with a better or higher wattage integrated?

I know I am casting a wide net here, not looking for " try it - see how it sounds": looking for experiences and opinions based on trial and errors of others willing to share.

Thanks in advance to all... Best Wishes - Be Well...
insearchofprat
Normally I suggest high sensitivity speakers with big paper cone woofers for these situations, but in your case the problem could very well be the Monoprice amp. 35 watts/ch would normally be enough power for JBLs in a room that size, but that’s if the power is RMS, full bandwidth. I wouldn’t be surprised if the integrated’s RMS power is closer to 10 watts/ch in reality.

A low-efficiency bookshelf speaker like the KEF LS50 is likely to leave you worse off. 

I’d probably put that $1K toward a better amp like a pre-owned Rega Elex-R or the Yamaha A-S801. The latter has a variable loudness control that will improve your low-volume listening regardless of partnering speaker, and you’ll have a great amp for when you do finally upgrade the JBLs. 

Has no one mentioned AudioNote yet?  These are highly efficient speakers designed to fit in the corner of a room or near a back wall.  The high efficiency provides better than average dynamics at lower levels of output.
Others have been saying it, and its truth. Low level listening needs a bass boost. And depending upon the speakers, some high end boost might be needed also. I have a very high end desk top system ..., but do not believe one needs to spend a lot for everything for it to sound very good.
The solution I found is here...

Amazon carries it here:https://www.amazon.com/BBE-282iR-Maximizer-Unbalanced-Connections/dp/B00FRLB87Q
For balanced connections there is this model.
https://www.amazon.com/BBE-282iX-Maximizer-Balanced-Connections/dp/B00FRLB57Y

I own both versions and both make the system sound surprisingly good!  The bass boost is a high quality linear boost.  Not boom, but bass.

Triangle monitors image well and are beautifully transparent at low volumes
I would purchase a different integrated with a loudness switch. The Yamaha A-S501, 701 or 801 line fit your budget.