...bookshelf speakers that sound good at low volume...

Hello to all...

Looking for new bookshelf speakers that sound good at low volume

CD-only listening; powering with 35w/8ohm Monoprice integrated, with silver interconnects; speaker cable home made twisted 14g solid core copper, bare wire connected to JBL L25 "PRIMA" Big 2-ways...

In approx. 14’ x14’ room in apt: multi use area - dining/kitchen/tv-gaming

If dedicated listening: approx 8’away (speaker cabinets 6’ center to center; speakers are not mirror-image const.)

Speakers sound great at medium+ volume - they really sing - but are really muddy and not detailed at low volume.

Options: replace integrated with vintage or new 50-75w/ch (with or without DAC) OR new or vintage bookshelf speakers... budget $500-$1000 max.

Located in Metro NYC area...

At present - I am gonna keep the JBLs: could their low volume presentation change with a better or higher wattage integrated?

I know I am casting a wide net here, not looking for " try it - see how it sounds": looking for experiences and opinions based on trial and errors of others willing to share.

Thanks in advance to all... Best Wishes - Be Well...
insearchofprat
Wharfedale 225's excell at this in my opinion...yes not the upper echelon of loud speaker, but a quality speaker at a most reasonable price. 
My expertise in audio ? 45 years . Have had a lot of systems , tubes and solid states so I know a little on the subject . First , changing the amp won't help much . That being said , take heed , be sure it is a high current design . That helps and makes a difference . But more importantly the speaker . I'm sure there surely are many options . One of them I can easily recommend which always impressed me by how clearly and dynamic they sounded at low volumens are the LSA 1 reference . They are discontinued now but pop up every so often on Ebay , Usaudio and audiogon . 
Not only do they sound good at low volumens but great at any loudness . I bought mine at Ebay for 300.00 . They were 1,300.00 new . Highly recommended .
I totally agree with everyone who is taking about bass boost needed at low volume.  If not, you really need a warm speaker.  Proac 1sc were a classic for low volume.  Older Dynaudios would be good, but the treble may sound muffled at low volume.   Sonus Faber monitors would be another candidate.  
Yamaha amps have almost always had a variable loudness control. This allows you to dial in as much loudness compensation as your situation requires. This will really help you get the sound you're looking for.