Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
millercarbon,
I did some rough calculations on my electrostatic diaphragm.  It is 6 microns thick, 5.25" wide and 48" tall, with a total volume of 1 cubic cm.  Assume the specific gravity is 2, and I get a mass of 2 gram, which covers the freq range of about 50 Hz to 20 kHz.  So the total low mass of 2 gram for the stock tweeters in a single array and 4 gram for the tweeters in the double array, make the low mass arrays very competitive.  Then the question is, how well is the low mass tweeter diaphragm controlled, compared to electrostatic and ribbon designs?  I wonder what the Be tweeter mass is, compared to the stock.

klh007 already mentioned a few speakers that may be superior to the stock Moab from 100 Hz up.  Eric should send a full Be Moab for a shootout test between this Be Moab and any speaker at any price.  At $14K for the Be Moab, that is still cheap compared to all the big name flagship speakers out there.  Even take Focal with its Be tweeter.  The Grand Utopias are crazy expensive, and even the middle level Sopras are way over $14K.

The video of the piano played with and without the isolators is meaningless.  The left piano with the isolators looks like it is near the wall, and the right piano without the isolators appears away from the wall.  The bass notes of the piano are on the left.  I heard a more boomy sound from the left piano.  The entire range of the right piano sounded tighter and more tinkly in the higher notes.  This correlates with the placement of the pianos and room acoustics.  I can't draw any conclusions about what effect the isolation has.
Ksnel, unfortunately those times they gave are not correct. Expect at least three months I would say. 
kingbarbuda-keep your magico’s, not even close in sound quality IMO. Magico’s allow you to upgrade your equipment and your speakers will take advantage of the better equipment, whereas the tektons would be the weakest link if you start upgrading with better equipment.
@knsel331,
I assume you have reviewed the Customer Gallery on the Teckton website to ensure you have enough room for the speaker. I don’t mean from a sonic perspective, I mean enough room that they don’t overwhelm your room visually and cause a WAF or significant other problem.

I haven’t heard them, but from all the glowing reports, if I could get the sonics of one of the three largest speakers in a smaller size that would be preferable for the room they would go in I would buy them, but for these music reproducers size matters.
jetter,
I am ready for that visual magnitude and my wife is on board. Several years ago we listened to a pair of the huge Mcintosh speakers and loved the sound from those monsters. She would let me buy those if they weren't so darn expensive.
Thanks though it does make me think about the size.