Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon

Showing 24 responses by ksnel331

Deborah and I are still discussing what we heard at Chuck’s. Simply Amazing. Further review to follow 
I don’t think any speaker would sound the same because of the room acoustics but if you start with what you know sounds great then you work towards that. If you’re not willing to try different things to improve then headphones would be a smarter choice. 
Both Deborah and I asked Chuck a plethora a questions about his system and the tweaks he has made. He was gracious enough to answer all questions with out making us feel foolish. He in fact admitted to his craziness about many of the questionable things he tried but the result is there. Deborah has a good understanding of the physics of electricity because she works in the field of Linear Accelerators and many things made a lot of sense. I don't know why you would not at least try some of the easier things like cables off of the floor and springs for isolation.
I won't be be able to do vinyl either but hope to get a great sound with digital.
I was hoping this forum would be more informative about people with Moabs or planning on Moabs and how we can get the most from them in our rooms.
randym860,
Which Mac amp do you use with your Moabs and what is your room like?
thanks
Glupson,
I know you are right about that because I have heard so much about Klipsch and listening to them was just not something I think I could do for an extended period. It is just my ears/brain I am sure because so many swear by them. I did like the sound of McINTOSH XR-100 and will travel down to millercarbons if it works out to hear the Moabs. 
millercarbon,
I would love the to experience them firsthand. Would my wife be allowed? I think she has a better set of ears than I do.
thanks

millercarbon,
Next weekend would be fine. Just let me know what time and if you enjoy something like whiskey or wine perhaps because I do not like to show up empty handed to a friends or anyone’s house. 
millercarbon,
You certainly don’t need to feed us. I am north of Bellingham so closer to 2 hrs drive. Maybe we could show up before your supper time to listen on Saturday or Sunday. What ever works for you. I am  a fan of Canadian whiskey and Crown Royal Black is a favourite so if you would like to try it. Thanks,
Keith
millercarbon,
Does around 3 work. Wife wants to do a little shopping. My phone is (360) 223-9142 so you can text or call. Thanks
miller carbon,
Could you elaborate on your DIY platform. I am a decent do it yourself too and could get those made while I am waiting. Thanks
Hi, I am currently finishing my new house with a semi dedicated listening room. It will get a lot of hopefully the proper treatment and my wife says it’s okay. It is 16x21x9 and I am considering the Moabs or Encores. My main question is about the positioning of the speakers and location of listening seat. I 7 feet away too close ?Sorry if I may have missed this in the discussion but any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Really am pretty new at this but I am old guy that needs to catch up.
Thanks
It sounds like the Moabs will do me fine. My house is concrete slab on grade and concrete floor on second level so very non resonant if that is the correct term. I plan on mounting the speakers on a very thick rug over the polished concrete to diminish the floor reflections. Planning a lot of absorption and diffusion everywhere. Is there some mounts I should purchase to put the Moabs on and I am not sure of the springs mentioned ?
Thanks
To nwres,
Thanks that is what I was hoping to hear. I can work with those distances. 
millercarbon,
very interesting video   Something I hadn’t even thought about but makes perfect sense. Definitely will incorporate that from the beginning. I wonder how good we could make really cheap speakers sound with the right treatments?
,millercarbon
what upgrades should I ask for? I am not hearing above 12k anymore so I wasn’t considering the expensive Be tweeters. I think my ears already have that warm sound. Actually use my wife as a sounding board because she has a better set of ears. Getting ready to order soon because I can move in 8 weeks from now.   Thanks for your obvious accumulated knowledge. 
I emailed Tekton today and Eric said 6-8 weeks for Moabs. I should be able to order soon as my house should be finished by October. Can't wait to get them up here to Bellingham,WA.
jetter,
I am ready for that visual magnitude and my wife is on board. Several years ago we listened to a pair of the huge Mcintosh speakers and loved the sound from those monsters. She would let me buy those if they weren't so darn expensive.
Thanks though it does make me think about the size.
jetter, or anyone else that would share an opinion
I see an ad on Audiogon for 2 Mcintosh MC-100 amps and XRT-30 speakers for $12000. Would this be an improvement over the Moabs and similar amplification?
Thanks,
Deborah's Review

First and foremost I want to thank Chuck for inviting us into his home to listen to these fabulous speakers; and also to see his well thought out listening room.
The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the Moabs was; Wow these are so big...is the sound going to be overpowering for the room size?
I was also concerned that the DBA would sound confusing.
Within the first minute both of my concerns vanished.
The imaging was so good that I felt like the vocalist was performing right in front of me and that I could reach out and touch them.
Chuck played a variety of genres so I was able to hear several different instruments and they all sounded very distinct...even the Piano!
Personally I like Bass and the Bass that came from the Moabs was clear, distinct, and not muddy.
I also want to comment on Chucks array of Sub Woofers. He has 5 that are staggered around the perimeter of the room.
Overall, the Bass in his room was very good and clear sounding.
During the middle of one song (I had my eyes closed) ,Chuck took the cables off the Cable Elevators; I immediately heard the sound become distorted and muddy.
I appreciate the time Chuck spent answering all of my questions.
The Moabs are definitely at the top of my List, and of course WAF 100%!
The hardest part of this purchase will be choosing the color!

Keith's review:
Ditto on thanks to Chuck and excellent wine by the way. Hope you enjoy the Crown Royal Black but don't worry thats my personal taste. As far as sound quality we are in total agreement. Your system is fantastic. If it weren't for a two hour drive I would have let you keep on spinning discs.
As far as the Moabs, a no brainer for me. Ordering a pair like yours on Tuesday in a custom color of Deborah's choice. Also ordering four subs and she has also figured out where she wants them in the room.
My listening impression was all the detail and nuances were presented to my ears in a most unique way. Unique to me because it was so far above any system I had heard including the last set of Monitor Audio Gold with a Prima Luna Integrated. I enjoyed hearing everything but was most shocked at Fleetwood Macs "Landslide"
Hearing it so many times in the past and then not recognizing the intro because of the detailed soundstage. Then Chuck let Stevie Nicks sneak into the room and begin the vocals dead center right in front of me and the recognition set in.
To sum it up I was more than impressed. Anyone that can take advantage of Chuck's generosity should do so.

Yes Ray I did the $300 upgrade but no biamp and custom colors. Do you think I should bi-amp? Any one else have an opinion? Chuck didn’t. 
Not going to bi-amp. After hearing Chuck’s there is no reason. I think other things will help more and I want to keep the wiring more simple and more inexpensive. 
I am waiting for mine patiently. The room in my new house is ready and I am tired of waiting and listening to my ELAC DB5 s and crappy subs. Hoping to get that email from Tekton. Wish I could be listening to Chuck’s again.