My pet peeve: "revealing" speakers

The one word that bugs me the most in all of the audiophile world is "revealing." 

It's plenty descriptive but it's also biased.  What I mean is that speakers that are revealing are also usually quite colored. They don't unveil a recording, they focus your attention by suppressing some tones and enhancing others. The reviewer who suddenly discovers hearing things he has never heard before and now goes through his entire library has fallen for this trap hook line and sinker.

This is not always true, as some speakers are revealing by ignoring the room.  They can remain tonally neutral but give you a headphone like experience.  I'm not talking about them.  I'm talking about the others.  I  wish we had a better word for it.

Mind you, I believe you should buy speakers based on your personal preferences.  Revealing, warm, neutral, whatever.  I'm just saying this word is deceptive, as if there were no down side when there is. 

Best,

Erik
erik_squires
And the Inuit people have some 80+ varied descriptors for ’snow’.

Your point?
My point is good luck with both. PEople make things much harder and more complicated than they often need be. But it does make for an interesting discussion.  Is "revealing" really so controversial?    That is revealing.  :-)
"Revealing" is for me what a good audio system reveals from itself, through the room acoustic, through the noise floor level, and through mechanical influences....

"Resolving" is more linked to the source recording and his translation by the embedded audio system.....

Then an audio system reveal something of itself, of the room and of the house, through his resolving power "working" in his own way to be true to the recording source....

There is always a balance between the revealing and the resolving peower.... No speakers can resolve "per se" in the absolute without revealing some intrinsic limitations of his own design and at the same time extrinsic one linked to the gear, room, house etc...

This is why i speak about a "living" sound, between an " ideal" neutral and a "bad" coloration.... Neutral is not always good, and coloration not always bad, when you inhabit specific conditions....

There is a trade-off between generic design and specific conditions.....
PEople make things much harder and more complicated than they often need be.
In reality in serious matters people always simplify or try to simplify a very much complex interaction impossible to understand completely....

In trivial matters people always complicate the situation tough....

Audio is a complex and serious matter....Discussion about audio are often more trivial tough....

:)
Yes, it happens! Very revealing! Did I get it right?

I can understand why this bugs Eric.   It's not as simple as it seems.