Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
mapman,

Once upon a time, you asked me how much does the devil pay me to be advocate, or something to that effect. My goal, not only here, is to act as unbiased as possible. I wonder if all 18 are attempting the same.

Sure, I would never recommend any of my friends buy Machina Dynamica springs, but for those who are considering springs, it is/was an option. For me, it would be the moment of "Wait. What am I doing? The thing that geoffkait was babbling about for years? No way. I do not want to admit I am geoffkait’s follower. I do not want to be caught alive that way. No springs. Period." Some people find springs useful, though. The reasons may be up for discussion, but the fact is that they find springs useful. geoffkait’s or Townshend’s, all the same to me.
Just a reminder: there are couple of videos on YouTube in which Max Townshend explains the design of and demonstrates the effectiveness of his Seismic Pod. Well worth watching.
Well glupson, why spend so much time having to backpeddle?  If you don't want to be associated, then just find something better to talk about.
So just to summarize, as I’ve stated from the beginning, I have heard Tektons (Double Impacts) and liked them enough to make the cut, meaning they are on the list of products I would consider buying. The pluses and minuses have been well documented here and elsewhere. Not much else to say in lieu of living with a pair. One thing I have noted recently is though they are a reasonable choice for use with lower powered tube amps, they are probably not the best choice in that regard, though likely better than many, perhaps even most, especially at the price point. Personally I would throw a relatively juicy higher powered SS amp at them. My existing Bel Canto ref10000ms would surely fit the bill as they do with my big Ohm Walsh speakers. I use a tube pre-amp in front and that might be a nice touch for many. Then again there is probably not a speaker out there that the Bel Cantos cannot drive to the max (maybe a few plagued with extreme low impedance and phase issues) so the choices are virtually unlimited with an amp like that.
mapman,

You are funny. That last sentence about speakers beats my skills at backpedalling. It still stays as correct as they get. See, it is possible to see two things and stay honest. If not, you end up idolizing someone over the phone.