Proteus compared to MSL ultra eminent ex

Hi Everyone,

Hoping to find some folks who have experience with both of these cartridges. I already have a Proteus, which I love. I have another, different, excellent cartridge with which I'm having some problems, and I am looking for a low internal impedance (<5 ohm) reasonable output cartridge (> .2-.3 mV) to replace it. As low noise as possible. I am just wondering whether the ultra eminent EX from my sonic labs would sound very similar to the Proteus that I already have. If so, I would probably consider getting something with a slightly different sonic signature. Thanks in advance for your opinions.
arsh
Raul, the reason I'm looking for a very low impedance cartridge has to do with a noise issue. After I rearranged my equipment on a new, custom rack system that lowered the overall height of the components, my higher internal impedance (10-11 ohm) cart picks up some sort of high frequency noise that, while very faint and intermittent, bothers me. It didn't do so on the old rack with the turntable higher up and farther away from the other components (amp in particular). My Proteus, with 1 ohm internal impedance, remained dead silent--no noise, and still sounds awesome. I have done every troubleshooting maneuver and rearrangement short of raising the system back to its previous height. I want to keep the arrangement I have now. My options seem to be : 1) revert to old setup with higher rack between speakers; 2) move turntable and phono stage to side wall, requiring 4-5 m long interconnects and new power arrangement; 3) sell the higher internal impedance cart and buy another very low internal impedance cart like the Proteus that rejects noise better. 
Because I find slightly better imaging and soundstage with the lower height setup, and because I don't want to spend a ton on very long interconnects and installing another dedicated circuit to move the table and phono stage to the sidewall, I think I'd rather get a different cartridge to alternate with my Proteus when I want a change. I have other carts on other turntables, but this is my main system and I want a great cartridge for it.

Thanks!
Arsh
For what its worth I also found some magic lies with low impedance MCs, but I dont know why exactly. Your explanation above is appreciated. I actually mistook the magic to be brought by low output, which usually is found with low impedance carts. Have been using a Benz Ebony TRS (1ohm) for over a year with great results. It has added body and weight to my system, making many LPs in my collection enjoyable again. 
Thanks vusi. That's really helpful information. I appreciate it. I have not really looked at Benz, thought they were difficult to find?
The Benz has a low 1 ohm internal impedance, but at the cost of the output, which according to the specs is only 0.1 mV, half that of the Proteus. Considering your noise issues this might be a risky choice.

It seems I’ve been accused of misinformation about the relationship between the Audiocraft AC-03 and MSL cartridges. If my information is correct the AC-03 dates from 1998, while MSL was founded in 2004 with the introduction of the Eminent Ex. I have not compared them myself, but have read reports they have a similar sound. This doesn’t seem far fetched with only a 6 year interval (and not 20 as was suggested).

I also mentioned that the MSL cartridges have superior specs, due to the introduction of a new core material which has enabled fewer coil windings (resulting in very low internal impedance) and still produce a very healthy output of 0.4 mV. I have no doubt this will translate to better sonics, with potentially a lower noise floor and more dynamic slam.

I took the AC-03 for a spin to refresh my memory. As I previously stated it is not nearly as refined as the Proteus, but it sounds much more powerful than I remembered with a huge soundstage, very strong bass and a highly rhythmic presentation. So it does present an interesting alternative to the Proteus sound and I suspect the MSL’s will be as well. At least the Ex and Hyper Ex, which have the same cantilever/stylus assembly as the AC-03. The Ultra Ex has a boron cantilever, which might change the sonic presentation considerably and perhaps might bring it closer to the Proteus.

@arsh 

Most Ikeda phono cartridges have an impedance less than 5 ohms, and have outputs in the .16 to .30 range. I have an Ikeda cartridge, as well as Benz LPS and EMT. The Ikeda is a great sounding cartridge.

Good luck with your search

Jim Perry