Tone arm resonance and cartridge compliance: How do they interact??

I read many years ago about the importance of tonearm resonance. How does that affect sound quality, and also cartridge compliance  How do you determine tonearm /cartridge compatibility??

Thanks,

S.J.

sunnyjim

Thanks to everyone who responded with valuable links and explanations

However, "jjss49"   noted: ..." this is the internet...and search is your friend"   Well bully for you!!!. 

Maybe, we should abandon these forums and just crawl into our internet cave, and let our fingers do the walking( searching)  Audiogon is a membership, and also a fraternity of people interested to high end audio and quality sound.

It seems that member " jjss49"  does not agree or just wants to eliminate the human element altogether.   His comment seems unfriendly and not in the spirit of the Audiogon's forum option 

i just don’t appreciate laziness and entitlement

forum is here to help folks, but they should try to help themselves a little first

just a little
Another interesting link.
http://korfaudio.com/blog
there are 4 posts on cartridge matching in the blog and a calculator, read the blog posts first.

I have the test record mentioned by Chakster, it was thrown in when I bought my last cartridge, an SPU Royal N. Before fitting the SPU to my arm (Schröder) I ran my Proteus through the resonance tracks. Arm eff mass 13g, compliance 13, cartridge weight 7.8g, 0.9g for the screws (I weighed them). The Vinylengine calculator https://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php?eff_mass=13&submit=Submit gives a resonance frequency of 9Hz for this combination, on the test record there was warble from 14Hz down but visible wobble only at 7Hz. Fitting the SPU involved changing an aluminium cartridge mounting plate for a brass one, this raises the arm’s effective mass to ~18g plus whatever effect moving the counterweight half an inch further back has but I’ll ignore that. So for the SPU eff mass is 18g, cartridge and the adaptor that comes with it 15.9g,screws and nuts 1.5g and the compliance 8. This gives a resonance from the calculator of between 9 to 10 Hz, on the test record I initially didn’t see any wobble with the setting roughed in but after a couple of weeks of fine tuning by ear I ran the test again and this time it wobbled at 7Hz. The Korf calculator, which I hadn’t found until later, offers an explanation for what is going on.
10+ chakster. Forget about equations. Use the darn record!
 It is always best to start with a light tonearm. It is easy to add mass, much harder to take it away. You want to get your resonance point between 8 and 10 Hz for the best bass. When the cartridge gets to the resonance frequency you will see it start to bounce. You simply add mass until you get the resonance frequency down where you want it. There are head shell weights and Soundsmith sells a set of graduated head shell screws that are brilliant.
Effect. If the resonance frequency is too low the tonearm can bounce into the air when it hits a warp. Too high and your bass performance declines and you invite acoustic feedback. When you turn the volume up the system starts to howl.