Partly passive preamp?

I’ve been using an Audio Research LS22 preamp with my Krell duo 175xd power amp. I also use an Audio Research PH3 phono stage.   Since the ARC preamp is about 25 years old, I’ve thought of replacing it. First, I decided to connect my PS Audio Directstream DAC directly to the Krell amp to see if it made a difference (the DirectStream has a good volume control).  It sounds great.  If I never wanted to use my turntable and tuner again, I’d consider sticking with this setup.  My question: is there such a thing as a preamp which would allow me to use my other equipment but does nothing to the signal coming from the dac...which is essentially passive when using the dac input?  
fast
I bought a little passive, opened it up and added my SC silver teflon jacketed wire. The switches were copper rotary, and the toggles were silver contact. I paid 49.00 and bought a pair. It took me 3-4 hours to do both, From a PC board to a point to point. Mine was for volume control on a bass set up and a Tweeter project that needed good silver wire beginning to end.
Copper would have been fine, BUT I had the silver so I did one with silver and one with copper.  They were RCA, XLR with a switch, but they had a place on the little MB (IC) for an additional opAmp and a few other goodies. Problem is it wouldn't be Point to Point, and running through lead/tin traces, not the best stuff for HiFi HiFi. 

My total cost per unit was 60.00 usd and some change. 2.5 hours labor.

Anything with ANY good parts, 500.00 or less is a steal...

Very easy to build an expensive passive with a few parts. I looked at
georgehifi's unit. I like it, but you notice a wire upgrade, better wire, solder and switches, make a BIG difference in sound it's there for a reason...Nice lookin' unit to. US made. Mine was US modified if that counts for anything... :-)

Regards