Threshold, Levinson, Bryston, Krell, ?others? used amps

Hi All.  I'm looking for a bang for the buck, diamond in the rough, 200-ish WPC power amp that will hang really tough with what's out there today in the vintage or recently new realm.  Trying to keep $$$ under 2K.  I currently own a Nakamichi PA-7 (Nelson Pass Stasis design).  Looking for an amp that is great at doing the disappearing act, smooth sounding, but not colored, and with lots of authority.  I realize that there are as many opinions on this as stars in the night sky but thought I would ask anyway.  Been considering a Threshold S/500, Levinson 23.5, Bryston 4B family.  Any standouts that I should try to find?  Let's hear from you.
mjt_tx
Odyssey Stratos amp. Around $1700.00 new and 160wpc. Doubles to 4 ohms and very stable at 2 ohms. Lifetime warranty. Very sorry I sold mine, should have kept it as a back up. Made in Indiana as well.
@mjt_tx 
"I currently own a Nakamichi PA-7 (Nelson Pass Stasis design). Looking for an amp that is great at doing the disappearing act, smooth sounding, but not colored, and with lots of authority". 

What do you not like about the Nak PA-7?

Has it ben recapped and biased by capable tech lately?
Honestly it hasn't.  I was going to check the bias and idle current measurements in the next few days.  It isn't bad at all.  Frankly, I'm wondering if it isn't the reason that Threshold sued Nakamichi and thus Nakamichi came out with the PA-7ii shortly after the suit was resolved.  The PA-7 was a nice jump up from my old Adcom GFA-555ii's and I'm wondering if checking out some of the class leaders' products from back in the day would be yet another jump or if the PA-7 is at the peak of the curve and then you start seeing diminishing returns for dollars spent.
I used to own a Forte 4A 50 wpc Class A Amp. At 4 ohms it was 100 wpc in Class A. This was the budget series of Threshold. Great Amp I still regret selling it. Was known to have enough power to run Maggies.
 Looking for an amp that is great at doing the disappearing act, smooth sounding, but not colored, and with lots of authority.  
I suggest looking at Ayre.
B