Victory at Sea - original LPs Vs Remastered LP or CD

One frequently hears excerpts of these stirring symphonic works on public radio and I have always thought of picking up a copy, either LP or CD.  Reading the reviews on Amazon is largely worthless as one reviewer will give 5 stars and the next 1 star for recording quality with little in-depth comment as to why.  If you own these works I would be interested in hearing your recommendations.  One question I have is I assume these are all monophonic recordings, is that correct. 

It has been my experience that the monophonic RCA recordings from this era were quite good, often as good as the remastered versions on certain labels.  So my thought is I do not want to spend a wad-o-cash if the originals are reasonably close to any remastered versions. 
lubachl
Original press of anything  always is best.

I bet a clean copy on decent setup sounds great. I'm familiar with the series, but wasn't aware of a soundtrack.

I will look for a copy once stores open up again....whenever that happens?
To me, it all depends. At times the original pressing is better than a ‘remaster’ or ‘reissue’, and sometimes not. I certainly would not discount a reissue if the price is right vs a high cost original. 

There are times when collectors drive up the cost of the original pressing that has nothing do do with sound quality.

Your best bet in possibly making this determination is using Discogs, as the various releases are rated by users, and one may be rated higher than another, and those ratings are typically rated on sound quality vs rarity of an original pressings, and in direct opposition to their worth/value.
As the owner of Vols. 1 and 3 of, actually, the Living Stereo REEL TO REEL copies of the Robert Russell Bennett conducted re-recordings RCA issued between 1959-1961: they are in genuine stereo (if these are the same sources you're speaking of and not different ones lifted directly from the soundtrack of the 1952 miniseries?) and are great.  I wouldn't think the originals would be more than $20 per volume in VG+ shape (because, unfortunately, it has been relegated to being called "elevator muzak" thesedays by people that don't respect the artistry of it).

If there's one complaint one might (possibly?) cite about the recordings, it's that: there are A LOT of authentic WW2 sound effects mixed in with the score....in that late 1950s, "ping pong stereo" kind-of-way(!).  Some people might be annoyed by that or find it jarring because there was very little compression used it seems when, for example: there will be an orchestral track THEN -BOOM!- a klaxon horn will scream or a fighter plane will zoom across the speakers(!).  It's gimmicky, but there's a certain "historical" sense of spirit it will evoke upon each listen.