Putting weights on speakers?

IME, putting 20 lb ankle weights on my 150 lb speakers greatly tightened and improved the bass and sound overall. Only problem is that the wife hates it... 
mglik
I'm one of those guys that pull the drivers and rolls the inside with soundcoat and then peel and stick rubber, (very porous), to boot.

Concrete does work well but it's best to use a very course fiberglass batting also..I used a 20 CF underground vault.. Bell shaped...A block of bass. 1500 lb at least..Depends on the drivers..too.

Weight is good...I have a pair at 395 each. Weight is good...They don't rock. I've never added weight. they always were heavy...250 and up..
Bass bins, who knows.. HEAVY....little ones are 200 lb or so..

Regards
I added 25 lbs to the top of my Maggie's but it was one hell of a balancing act!!
Speaking of cabinet resonances and vibrations. I have never put weights on any of my audio equipment.  Reading many years ago that if you can balance a nickel on edge on top of your speakers and play at very loud volumes and not have the nickel move, you're good.  So, of course, I tried it, much to my surprise the nickles never moved.  That's with 24" woofers and 1.1kw of ARC power going to the woofers in a tri-amp system. Left the nickels there for weeks and finally got tired of looking at them. Try it, let me know. Regards, Barts
Mass loading can affect/improve cabinet resonance issues but is not a one size fits all path as it can affect resonant frequencies and will respond differently for different speakers depending on the many design choices made by the designer.
One loading option I have found to improve focus, bass and stability of my speakers is the use of heavy Sound Anchor stands, which they can make for any speaker. Another consideration for more decor-friendly weights are the brass weights from edenSound. Many believe the resonance of brass is musical, and many like the look of brass. However, Dan at edenSound can also make his brass weights in a black finish, like the four black fat boy weights he recently finished for me.