Pioneer Direct Drives - Now and then?

I'm toying with the idea of getting into vinyl in the near future, and saw a recent model Pioneer recommended as a poor-man's Technics.  Also saw some very pretty vintage units for sale here and there.

I'm wondering if anyone has direct experience with them who could offer suggestions?
erik_squires

helomech said
"It's a good performer in the objective sense, however, it does play with the forced-weightiness and digital-like glare typical of DD tables"What in the world is "digital-like glare typical of DD tables"? I also have no clue what "forced-weightiness" refers to.
If your going to make a statement like that than back it up please.

BillWojo
or, for a grand finish, start with something like this dual arm plinth, (convert CAD, the dollar is strong now) (this one is sold)

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649402362-victor-jvc-clp2d-rosewood-plinth-for-tt71-tt81-tt101-direct-drive-turntablerare/

add a JVC Direct Drive Spinner, i.e. TT61, 71, 81

start with a stereo arm in the rear. add a long stereo arm on the side. then change the rear cartridge to mono, bingo you end up with a teeeerific TT system.
Could you tell me why Technics released a "clone" of their own great original design instead of making a new own great original design? I am simply not a fan of 1200 (and its clones including Pioneer) design. Why wouldn’t they release a nice turntable that does not look like their designer got fired on the day the project development started. 1500C is much better attempt at design, but lacking in final execution.

We discussed this issue here when they released new line of turntables.
When SL1200GAE was out no one could imagine Technics will make cheaper G, GR, mk7 and 1500 series soon. And no one can imagine SP10R as the reference deck from Technics.

The answer is very simple:
Technics just made a newer version of their iconic SL1200mkII+ series, simply because it was the most popular turntable in the world (they sold millions of them like no other brand in the history). The reason why SL1200 mkII - mk6 were so popular is obvious - only because of the the club culture, SL1200mkII became reference DJ turntable since the early 80’s worldwide, it is an industry standard for professionals (clubs or radiostations).

But it was originally made as a Hi-Fi component. This model almost immediately replaced belt-drive Thorens turntables used by the first disco deejays in the 70’s (at studio 54 and in many placed in NYC). Technics appeared to be ideal for DJing, it was robust, made like a tank with powerful Direct Drive motor. And Technics made a pitch control +/- 8% as a fader (not a knob). It was groundbreaking turntable for night club industry and dj culture (and still is).

So why do you think Technics should have to ignore their iconic model when their own master plan was to make SP-10R a bit later anyway? They just updated everything, released different turntables for different categories of people (including deejays and audiophiles).

For the most critical listeners they made SP-10R and SL1200GAE

You said pretty vintage units. are you limited to Pioneer, or looking at JVC or Denon?

this fully auto JVC looks very nice, I don’t know anything other than that it also fits your budget.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-QL-Y44F-Fully-Automatic-Stereo-Record-Player-W-Original-Box-Excellent/153927280225?hash=item23d6c7e661:g:9~AAAOSwcp9euKoD

quite a few QL-Y5's around (QL is quartz lock, I prefer that)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victor-QL-Y5-Stereo-Record-Player-Turntable-In-Good-Condition/153886045644?hash=item23d452b5cc:g:gE0AAOSwtzJehq5q

btw, IF 100v unit (some are 120v), you will need a small 100/120 transformer. No need for an expensive one.
Erik like others I'm just surprised you are going into analog considering some deep (and good posts) you have about digital and audio in general. Good call I think, on the same path myself, already waiting for TT, cartridge and vinyl to see if it really can perform better than a good digital rig