Pioneer Direct Drives - Now and then?

I'm toying with the idea of getting into vinyl in the near future, and saw a recent model Pioneer recommended as a poor-man's Technics.  Also saw some very pretty vintage units for sale here and there.

I'm wondering if anyone has direct experience with them who could offer suggestions?
erik_squires
I owned the PLX-1000 for a spell. Contrary to fanboy myth, it does sound and perform just as well if not better than the fabled 1200 MKII. Also feels like a higher quality machine in my opinion.

Did anyone advice an old SL1200 mkII here ? The Pioneer is exactly on that level, maybe a bit better. Most of audiophiles here must be ashamed because PLX-1000 was made for DJs/Clubs to replace Technics (at that time Technics was out of business).

NEW $999 Technics mk7 is better than Pioneer PLX-1000. The price is very close and it’s worth to pay the difference for an elegant looking brand new Technics mk7 with the latest DD motor (not a bad clone from Pioneer for lower price).

I think to get a DD that’s significantly better you’d have to spring for the 1200GR.

Not necessary to buy GR for $1700, just mk7 for $999 is enough to outperform Pioneer PLX-1000

Let’s face is: Pioneer copied Technics look to serve clubs/djs because Technics SL1200mkII+ was/is a pro tool, an iconic turntable in this category since the 70’s.

An old Pioneer design from the 70’s was better but Pioneer is not gonna make a re-issue of the Exclusive series models, that’s too bad, because this is an original Pioneer iconic design for audiophiles!

Before the reviewers remember what is Technics and Pioneer we’ve been using them for decades while they have been messing around with their funny looking modern belt drive turntables. 

I’ve been using Technics turntables for 25 years, the SP-10mkII was my reference, but even my very old and fully upgraded SL1210mkII (pair) is still here and perfectly working without any service in 25 years! This is Technics made in Japan quality.

Post removed 
"I’d like to spend $1000 or less, given I may buy like 5 records."

LOL, but we have another thread where a gentleman asking is it worth to spend $10k just for the phono stage. Welcome to the analog world.

Another person in another thread asking what to do with pre-owned vinyl ? (1000 LPs of Jazz, R’n’B, Gospel and Classical music).

I think the Pioneer PLX-1000 is a terrific player, way better than my vintage Yamaha direct drive...
I think Yamaha GT-2000L is great, can be $3k but black version is 50% cheaper.
I believe you’re referring not to GT2000 model ? @jl35