How does Shure V15 Type IV compare?

Hi,  I recently got back into listening to vinyl again after 30+ years.   I purchased a new Project Classic turntable, and a new JICO stylus for my Shure V15 Type IV that I've kept from the 80's.   The Type IV cartridge with the new JICO stylus still sounds really great,  I think just as good as I remember when I used it in the 80's.   It sure beats the hack out of the Ortofon 2M silver cartridge that came with the turntable.

My question is, how does the Shure V15 Type IV stack up against today's high performance cartridges?  I want to know because if I were to upgrade from the Shure,  where do I begin?  at what price point should I start looking?   e.g Is the Shure just as good as let's say Ortofon 2m Black?   I would hate to spend hundreds of dollars to buy a new cartridge only to find out that it is inferior to the Shure.

Any information will be appreciated.  Thanks!
128x128xcool
My question is, how does the Shure V15 Type IV stack up against today’s high performance cartridges? I want to know because if I were to upgrade from the Shure, where do I begin? at what price point should I start looking? e.g Is the Shure just as good as let’s say Ortofon 2m Black? I would hate to spend hundreds of dollars to buy a new cartridge only to find out that it is inferior to the Shure.

I’ve been buying cartridges almost every month to find out what’s the best, many people on this forum did the same things for a long time. The clear benefit of the vintage cartridges is the price/performance ratio. Here is an MM (or MI) is a winner. But you have to find them in pristine condition or NOS/Sealed and you will be blown away by the quality.

As you noticed JICO made a lot of styli for vintage cartridges, their SAS profile (Super Analog Stylus) is the best from JICO. One may think this is the answer to all the questions, but i want to tell you that many original vintage cartridges are just better than same cartridge with JICO stylus.

Shure best model was not V15 series but ULTRA 500 SERIES

Ortofon 2M series is not a reference MM even if it’s a good cartridge.

The problem is that MM is not trendy in modern High-End society nowadays. I don’t know is it good or not, because when it’s trendy the price can be $8-14k for an MI cartridge like this, i doubt you will find any owner on audiogon, they are more happy to buy MC for the same price. And i believe it’s better than many LOMC in the same price category, but who cares.

When MM or MI is not trendy in High-End world it’s an opportunity for us to buy them for reasonable price looking only for the best models from the past (some NOS samples still available). And when you said you’re spending hungrend of dollars ( not thousands) by advice is to buy something serious from the past. A few option for you below:

1) If you’re comfortable with high compliance cartridges under $700 then look for Pickering XSV/4000 Stereohedron. This XSV/4000 model is better than previous XSV/3000.

In the USA one of the most dramatic developments of cartridge performance was the introduction of the Pickering XSV/3000 series (in the 70’s). It offered the consumer a first generation of cartridges, combining both high tracking ability and superb frequency response. It utilized a new concept in stylus design - Stereohedron, coupled with an exotic samarium cobalt moving magnet. The "SP" versions appeared on the market later when Pickering offered a top-of-the-line Stereohedron cartridge, the XSV/4000 with wider frequency response, higher compliance and smaller effective tip mass. That was one of the best MM cartridges in the 80’s. It was very popular in Japan too, here is the flyer.

Pickering XSV-4000 has the most advanced stylus shape called Stereohedron which is achieved by grinding four flat surfaces on the diamond at precise angles to each other and their intersection creates areas used to contact the groove. The advantage of the Stereohedron stylus is that because of it’s long and narrow contact surfaces it tracks high frequency modulation minimizing groove wear.

2) Pickering was a parent brand to Stanton. This is the best and the rarest Stanton cartridge (CS-100 W.O.S.). Stanton Magnetics was one of the first American companies to make and sell magnetic cartridges that improved sound quality and allowed for a less-expensive product in the 1970s. Mr. Walter O. Stanton was the chairman and president of both Pickering & Co and Stanton Magnetics Inc until 1998. The latest Collector’s Series 100 signature model CS-100 WOS was made in Plainview, N.Y. in the late 80’s - early 90’s. Stanton was responsible for many of the early patents in phono cartridge and styli design and electrostatic speakers, as well as other electro mechanical items. He was one of the early leaders in the audio industry and served as president of both the Institute of Hi Fidelity and the Audio Engineering Society (AES). Stanton CS-100 W.O.S. cartridge has the most advanced stylus shape called Stereohedron which is achieved by grinding four flat surface on the diamond at precise angles to each other and their intersection creates areas used to contact the groove. The advantage of the Stereohedron stylus is that because of it’s long and narrow contact surfaces it tracks high frequency modulation minimizing groove wear. CS-100 is the only Stanton model with Sapphire/Ruby coated cantilever!

If you need more options let me know :) There are many more great high-end MM or MI cartridges from the bast than simply unbeatable today (imo) without breaking the bank. In my experience a lot of amazing carts cost no more than $700 or very near.

As and addendum...

Just listen to and enjoy what you have running.  

As the JICO is a "plug in" stylus replacement give it 30-60 hours of playing time B4 judging it's sound quality on a whole.

I find Chak's endless rants about fairly "RARE" vintage cartridges (rare in finding them in GOOD operating condition) as well as his rants about belt drive decks tiresome (to say the least;-).

DeKay
I have a Shure v15 Type 4 with the  Jico SAS stylus and it's a very decent cartridge. However, it's easily bettered by something like a Nagaoka MP500 or if you can go to an MC, the Hana SL.
I do not have a comment on the Shure other than it was never one of my favorite carts in any of it's iterations, my favorites from that era were the Grace F9 and the ADC XLMs, with that said, I abandoned MM carts when I installed my first MC, the GAS Sleeping Beauty back in the later 70s. After all that time, I ran across a Grace F9 motor, no stylus, in my audio drawer and purchased a Soundsmith OCL stylus assembly from SS and am now wondering why I abandoned the MMs for the MCs. I have in rotation some very good MCs including a DRTxv1s, ZYX Universe, Miyabi Standard and a AT ART9 which this Grace certainly doesn't give up much if any to any of them. I am getting ready to order another stylus assembly from Soundsmith so I can keep this goodness alive for the foreseen future. Enjoy the music