How much will you pay for an exotic cartridge....

I noticed on another forum that there is an interesting point brought up by a US distributor/dealer about his perception that one of his potential customers bought a top end cartridge ( that he reps) from an off-shore dealer/source...and how he intends to try and stop the practice of ’grey market’ sales. ( At least for the lines that he carries).
This gent seems to believe that because he signed some paperwork somewhere that may ( or may not) give him exclusive rights to distribute the gear in the US, that he has the right to try and prevent anyone abroad from selling to US customers! To that, he wants to have the manufacturer try and enforce his right to do the above. Now, one could ask, what’s the issue with this, right? And here’s the rub, the dear distributor is adding over $8K to this product for the simple task of ordering and having shipped a cartridge from Japan ( Yes, i know the shipping of such a large and heavy item is expensive...and the dealer has to stand by the product...whatever that means when we are talking of a cartridge!) The profit motive is high here, and the opportunity to fleece some of the US consumers is also...so i get that, but to come on an open forum and complain about the practice that one of his potential customers did such a thing....is an interesting marketing tactic, IMO.
So, my question is this..how much will you pay for that exotic cartridge to insure that you are buying it from a "legit" US rep, and not from a grey market...or in this case out of area dealer....what’s fair to you...a few $$s- or the sky’s the limit??
128x128daveyf
As the world of high end audio shrinks - so do the dealers that can demo a product. I don't mind uplift when there is good product support and advice - along with demos. Theres a lot of risk in audio these days and at the top end i guess businesses taking big risks on products that don't sell in high numbers justifies a greater uplift. There's an awful lot of manufacturers and dealers who really are not making much money at all - in fact it is a labour of love and in many cases a side job. it's no wonder that many shops and importers have shut up shop and closed down. Maybe they have to work harder for their money now and expect lower profits, but that might not be financially feasible. Think about it - import - duties - stock - premises - staff even before a sale...
I owned my own law firm for a short time and sold it within a pretty short time as people thought to shop for law on the web and through the odd internet search - whilst the law society did not clamp down on charlatan lawyers. You pay your money and take your choice.
I try to buy new goods from dealers - that's just me.
@lohanimal I think what you states applies far more to gear like amps and speakers than it applies to cartridges. Same goes for cables, reputed to be the biggest profit source in high end audio.

BTW, are there actually any “charlatan lawyers”..?
Agree with millercarbon’s points. Hell, sometimes with the savings you can buy a SECOND, if you get ripped off on the 1st one or some reason, and STILL come out ahead. And I really think getting ripped off is pretty rare in this game (always shop smart). For those of us who can buy mail order and install it ourselves, the reality is that there is very little value to dealer / distributor support on a cartridge. I build a long-term relationship with my local dealer for tube amps, speakers, turntable, etc - and it works out great! Both parties happy. With cartridges the value just isn’t there. You buy the cartridge, and if it’s going to be defective it’s most likely going to be immediately apparent - so you request a refund for DOA, which applies no matter the source (PayPal or CC dispute as a last resort for sellers who won’t play ball). After that, it’s probably either going to die by your own (error) hand, or through use over a long lifetime (hopefully!).

The only exception to this is if you miss out on any sweet trade-in or rebuild deals that may be provided only through the "authorized" channels (it would have to be a hell of a sweet deal though) - or manufacturers that won't service retip / rebuild cartridges without a paper trail. 
Contracts apply only for the parties involved. The ''third persons''
can't claim any right to others contracts. Judicial simplification
is the reduction to ''creditor'' and ''debtor'' relation. So the importer
has an contract with manufactirer with mutual obligations . If one
of bouth commit default the other can bring charges against him
according to the involved national or internation (private) law. 
Those implay judicial procedures which are costly so the practical
solution is dissolving of the contract. Without mutuall trust there is
no honest relation possible.  At present with ''on line'' product
distribution the relation  is ''reduced'' to direct contract between
producer and buyer with the same ''general'' contractual obligations.
On priciple that is. The seller should publish his liability. 

@daveyf 
charlatan lawyers -

there are a lot of unregulated people who cal themselves legal experts that give advice. Members of the public think they are getting a solicitor which would afford standards and protection. Instead they get idiots who ball things up - rip off people and provide a poor service - sadly - in the short term people are happy with cheap fees - until something gpes wrong...