The very best sound: Direct to Disc

Since I got a new cartridge (Clear Audio Virtuoso) i’ve rediscovered the Sheffield and RR Direct Disc albums in my collection.  
Wow! they put everything else to shame.  I picked up about twenty Sheffield D2D’s when Tower Records went out of business for a song (no pun intended.) I’m just now listening to them and find there’s nothing that sonically compares.  They’re just more real sounding than anything else.  Not spectacular but realistic.   
128x128rvpiano
Dear @tablejockey  : I own too some Angel 45rpm recordings but you need to listen the Toshiba 45rpm on a Steinway demostration. One of the best piano recordings I own.

R.
The M&K D to D of Flamenco Fever is an extraordinary album, not only is the SQ demonstration quality, but the music is very fine as well. There are other great D to D's, but this particular album is at, or very near the top, IMO. 
I think many of the Sheffields are great from a SQ perspective, but some of the music is ...tepid.
Problem with most direct to disc is music, because 99% of the artists available only on conventional records where the source is the tape. Normal records (original pressing) can be mind blowing too, especially Japanese pressing from the 70's (SAL74 series for example).