Covering a TV behind your speakers?

I just read on another site a guy asking what difference it would make covering his TV while playing music. His picture shows a decent system but it must be in the basement. It can't be more than 12' wide. No sound treatments to be seen. I'm going through a divorce and will have to move to a much smaller one person house. I've been lucky for 30 years having my expossed basement listening room, 20' x 24', naturally almost perfect as far as sound goes.  I have been reading here and other sites trying to learn about treatments. Never heard the TV thing before. A few people responded to the guy's post that they hang drapes over the TV. I would think since current TV screens are not glass but whatever they are made of now they wouldn't cause a problem. Looking forward hearing from the experts here.

golden210
If you mount the tv on the wall the audio soundstage will be in front of the tv screen.

Mount the tv on a stand about a foot or so behind the speakers and the audio soundstage will blend with the video picture.

This will give a more realistic movie experience.

For audio only listening turn off the picture on the tv.

Some tv’s have a picture off button on the remote to block the video and let the audio through for Tidal, Amazon hd music etc. I do not like to view album art and other crap for music only playback.

Covering and uncovering the tv is a PIA IMO.
I’m with @mijostyn on this. I’ve listened to my system (two separate systems, two separate rooms) and in both settings preferred the sound with the TV (wall mounted) left uncovered.

My speakers are pulled out, in case that’s a factor.

I’d go as far as to say that covering the TV is not only a PITA, but was also detrimental to sound quality...in my room/setups.

It’s a simple A/B...which you should do, because your setup / room is unique to you.
You don’t want anything reflective in the middle of your speakers. Glass, tv, table, are the worst but even a high audio rack isn’t good
Hey there,

Yes, flat reflective surfaces behind the speakers are bad, and diffusion is better.  Curtains work, but so does treating the rest of the room.

If you can't or don't want to treat one space, you can make up for it by treating other areas. The important thing is the overall room balance.

For professional advice, talk to GIK.

Best,

E
I cover my 55” tv with a thick blanket. I have a deeper sound stage when covered. My friends made fun of this obviously ridiculous pre listening ritual and I defended it with a couple of friends and a test removing and returning the blanket in a blind test. They are believers now. The blanket did improve the depth and in other ways, the overall quality of the sound.