Some basic computer audio questions

I'm running a Mid-2015 5K iMac with file player software. I'd like to hook up the computer to my full-sized stereo. The only direct out I know of is the headphone jack, which would mean a 3.5mm minijack to male RCA cable. 

Questions:

1. When people were using Mac Minis, is this how they connected to their audio equipment, or was it USB out to a d/a converter?

2. With the 3.5mm to RCA cable: are there any truly high quality examples of these being made? Most are included accessories or $2 cables. Even a few at $50+ look like repackaged cheap stuff. What's the maximum length a cable like this can go to?

3. I might move files to a mid-2012 Mac Pro tower. Is there any difference in sound between a SATA SSD and  blade PCIE SSD?

Thanks in advance!

mcrib
There are decent, relatively inexpensive DACs out there with both USB and optical inputs, Topping and SMSL are two of the names that are recommended often.
McRib, when I had a MacMini audio setup, I usb connected to a Dac (from the Mini) then to my integrated amp. I used a headless set up so I could view the library on an iPad. Now that I have gone to a one box dedicated streamer-dac I'm getting better sound. I imagine you could configure this way with a Laptop but those devices are pretty noisy.
Don’t know the specific digital out on that device but key to best sound is digital out to good external DAC of your choice.
If you want something portable Chord Mojo can function as a straight up DAC plus it is an awesome headphone amp. I go lightning digital connection out to it from iPhones and tablets and use Mogami analog stereo mini to dual rca phono plugs out into my preamp aux or any line level input and sound is to die for.

Hello MCrib,

I do not have a solution for your question, but a question myself. May I ask for your expertise and guidance? ow can I connect my music collection on a FLAC USB to my pre-amp listed here? My sound system is an early 80s ‘stack’ system.

None of the components are digital: Bryston 2B solid state amp, Conrad-Johnson PV-11 pre-amp, MIT 330 interconnects, MusicWave phase-equalized speaker cables, California Audio Labs CD Alpha and Delta drive, Dual 1129 turntable. B&W 803 speakers.

I would appreciate your suggestions and guidance on the matter.Thank you.

Mark Saracino

Biggest issue, and it varies, is noise of power supply getting into rest of the system, and/or ground loops caused by same.