Direct Drive vs. Idler Drive vs. Belt drive

I'd like to know your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each drive system. I can see that direct drive is more in vogue over the last few years but is it superior to the other drive systems? I've had first-hand experiences with two out of the three drive systems but looking to learn more.
128x128scar972
Thanks chakster, I didn't know if I would get beat up by my opinion but figured I'd be safer in this post than expressing it on a Rega post.
And it's a daily occurrence if you read several audio forums like I do, either the need to update or complaining about a problem. And there are lot's of problems it seems.
The Rega defenders absolutely adore Roy Gandy and his approach to making the TT non adjustable. Seems he doesn't believe that you need to adjust VTA.
Have you seen the prices on the upper tier Rega TT? You can buy a nice machine for that kind of money. It makes no sense to me at all.
BillWojo
billwojo
One thing I have found in common with all of the popular British TT is the constant need for upgrades.
Actually, there is no "need" for an upgrade. Without the upgrade, your turntable will perform exactly the same as it always did. An upgrade is just an option for those that might want to seek improvement. It’s the same as when a company such as Audio Research offers upgrades to its electronics; the availability of an upgrade doesn’t diminish the performance of your existing component.

Oddly, some audiophiles complain when upgrades are not made available for existing product, claiming that it reflects "planned obsolescence" and lessens the value of their existing product. That argument does seem to have some validity.
Direct drive!

Own 2 technics SL-1200mk2’s and one Mark III IN BLACK FROM MID-late 90’s

,oldest ones are mark II’s,
still,play flawlessly, from late 80’s.

take apart 1-2 x a year, remove psi deal, wipe, fresh oil, good as new.

Stock arm, great Ortofon Concorde headshells!

Haven’t skipped a beat in 30 years.

None better.

Adjusted brake mayb 3-5;X  in 30 years.

best tt’s ever owned, been through a lot, pioneer, Sony, BIC, DUAL,   The technics still play, and function as new after 30 years and more.

Belts, bull tripe, never again.

My old warhorses may not have the resolution of a thorens or a 8K $ TT,  but they are reliable, and start, play and stop on a dime year after year.

best TT ever built!
Own 2 technics SL-1200mk2’s

best TT ever built!

And this is only an entry level into SL1200 series, i also have a pair of Sl1210 mkII for more than 20 years, fully upgraded in the last 7 years, not in the main system, but it was my first adult turntable :) 

The next level for me was this SP-10 mkII in teak wood plinth with Reed 3p tonearm and Glanz 61 MF cartridge. 

And not so long ago Technics returned with new turntables, different models with prices from $899 to $4000 in SL1200 series

I just don't understand why people are so brainwashed with those rega and related belt drives. 

Regarding air bearings I am wondering that many friends around here mix air floating devices with a real air bearing design. Even Mike Fremer mentions air bearings with an air floating deck.
To my knowledge only two designs (in the world) are running on air bearings. May I have overseen a development?