Why do you think Bi-Wiring improves the sound ?

I now know of 3 people that have converted their speakers to be bi-wired but are not bi-amping .

What is your experience or opinion on why bi-wiring without bi-amping might or does sound better ?

I am concidering converting my speakers but I do not want to be fooled by the addition of increased AWG .
128x128vair68robert
Violating my own promise, I will make a few very simple observations:
For reference my system is quite extensive and has been tuned (e.g.: room, TT setup) pretty darned well, although i am not a maniac about it.
1. I have heard small, but meaningful differences between interconnect cables, and much smaller ones for speaker cables. real, but generally small.
2. I mostly heard difference vs cables that we would all agree are crap.  That's a technical term, but think generic, 40 year old, from some box somewhere int eh attic
3. I have seen myriad cases, in my system and elsewhere of cables that are basically broken.  Corrosion. loose terminations, poor contact etc.

I speculate that sometimes changing wires fixes these issues and is heard, but the reason is sim-attributed.
4. Want to improve wire gauge?  Make the wires shorter.  Now, to be honest, with an 8-ohm speaker impedance, or 30,000 ohm amp input resistance, does the difference between 0.05 and 0.03 ohms matter?  I'll leave that up to you.
5. Construction - e.g. dialectic material, is much more important than many other esoteric factors. I do go out of my way to use interconnects with expanded polyethelene or foam teflon or something similar. Its nto all that expensive anyway.
6. Many cables are so think and stuff that they place significant strain on connections.  I have seen many, many examples of bad connections because someone is using $500 cables that that thicker than my thumb and stuff as a garden hose. Oh wait, they were garden hoses, scratch that. In fact i have had to service equipment that was actually damaged by the strains (like expensive [brand omitted] terminals breaking... think about that)
And as MC said, in most cases the money and or time could likely have made a much bigger difference elsewhere.
having had too many Vandys to count, staring in the very early 80s, i never benefited from bi wiring BTW. Of course, since my system is also a test bed, i really hat to have complicated connections, rinnign from lab ot system and spending 20 minuets fighting with wires is not my idea of productive use of time. SO like i said, i'm biased.
G

I do not hear a difference on my Vandersteen Model 5As but it has been a while since I did a comparison.

Here is the real question that I spoke to Audioquest about.  Would I be better buying a more expensive run of speaker cable and using a set of their jumpers or buying a lower priced run of their speaker wire already set-up for bi-wire.  They advised me that their new speaker cable bi-wire line was better then a higher priced single run.  I did not ask why but that was their advice. I never did try it though.

Happy Listening.

Thank You All

I mentioned that 3 people converted ( added 2d pair of speaker posts )
to bi-wiring and liked the results .  All three had already upgraded the crossovers with higher quality components ,
I just got to the speakers yesterday ( after having installed the same 9.5awg wire from the amp board to the new Cardas speaker posts,
the same 9.5awg wire I used to put together my speaker wires )
when I installed Cardas speaker posts with the next upgrade it will be the wiring to the crossovers ,
one step at a time to evaluated the effect , the bi-wiring if I go that route 
would be the last thing I do .

It seems the experiences , opinions and even the manufactures are 
on both sides of the benefits or lack of .

I just have to wait until social distancing over so I can go over to my friends house and listen to his newly bi-wired speakers .

Several thoughts, all tempered with real world listening to a variety of speakers ( currently I own Apogee, Quad, Thiel and Vandersteen, three of those four vaunted designers sent them from the factory with biwire provisions.

The Vandersteen recommendation is based on science and listening with his products, since 1977. He does recommend an external biwire configuration If possible and get cables spaced appropriate 2”+. He is a pretty frugal designer/ engineer, the Model two in various versions over a quarter million sold, has beat inflation- IF he didn’t believe bi wired sounded better with additional cost to manufacture, it wouldn’t be on his product. Obviously there is hardly agreement on many principles of speaker design. Many a lauded designer cares nothing about pistonic motion and tolerates out of phase breakup in the passband ( see the Vandersteen Utube video on pistonic motion ) ain’t it great to have choices ???

Vandersteen model 2 to 7 including the high pass amplifier all have biwire provisions.

your results will always vary

enjoy the music and Libations of your choice, Ripple included

@bigkidz i have an 8’ set of AQ type 6 shotgun biwire, spades all around w Vandy size spades on speaker end - perfect for your listening session - they have about 50k miles on them as I loan them out to the agnostic for fun. I can put them in mail to you Sunday, chlorox wipe included !!!!
jim