CD Player versu Dedicated Transport

I am currently using an ARC CD3MKII as a transport feeding an Audio Logic DAC. Is there any downside (besides expense) to using a CD Player as a transport compared with a dedicated transport? Does all that extra electronics have a downside? (It is comforting to know that if something goes wrong with my DAC I would still be able to listen to music.)
pubul57
Pubul57, I am using a CD3MkII as a transport feeding a Dodson DA217MkII-D DAC, and I am very happy with the combination.
So I have to ask this question. Would you spend more money on a transport or a DAC. I have heard some opinions that would say both are important, some would say that you could get any "cheap" transport and use the digital out to a good DAC. Of course some would say that that is non-sence. However, I would like to hear some opinions on this subject. I am wondering because I have recently started to build a system and my next step is either buying a good cdp or a DAC. I have a sony 400 disc jukebox player with a digital out. Obviously not up to audiophile quality, but I do love the convience. I would like to hear what others think I should buy next, a cdp or a DAC.
arc cd3 are commonly used for transports (this is a great setup with the AL dac).

however, changing your digital ic cable might surprise you. i am using a dh digital cable in the meanime while i am looking for "the right one". it is a great cable for the money but lacks the ulimate resolution and bass slam with this level of gear. it's best to avoid adapters on this connection and keep the length to a minimum of 1.5 meters.

also suspending your cable should offer sonic improvement