Anyone heard Underwood level1 3910 mod?

Has anyone heard the underwood mods? I am looking at getting a 3910 modded but I don't have another 2K to spend on a API etc. Underwood says $650.00 for their work.

Cheers!
Frano
frano
I am currently evaluating the 3910 mod. I purchased the Ultimate and sent Parts Connexion my 3910. I have finally let the unit burn in for 200 hours as Wally recommended. So far I am disappointed. The upper bass is overly pronounced and the overall sound isn't open. Vocals never come alive - low level detail seems obscured maybe because of the overly warm upper bass. I am AB-ing the unit with a Benchmark DAC-1. I will say that I don't remember the Benchmark sounding as good as it does now. The mod replaces the clock which Wally claims improves the digital out. I believe that has made a large difference. I have ordered some NOS Mullard 6922 tubes which I'm going to try in the unit next week.
Just a suggestion...
I have a APL 3910.
Perhaps your modded 3910 requires a different interconnect and power cord .
Try a silver interconnect like AZ, Kimber Select,Ridgestreet Audio, Purist Dominus, etc.
It may tighten the bass and open the sound.
The Purist Dominus power cord is awesome with my APL 3910.
Kisisam, Up front - I know nothing about your 3910 modded Denon. I'm reacting to your proposed tube change and I'm speculating.

Arn't the Mullards noted for a warmth which might be contra-indicated, especially if you are finding the mod'd Denon overly warm in the upper bass and, presumably because of the 'vocals which never come alive', closed in in the upper mid's and highs and you are finding the Benchmark more appealing. I would have thought a tube like a Seimans or 'Tele' might have been more appropriate. Just a guess/thought.
Newbee, this is from Upscale Audio's website: "Mullard 6922 - Made in Great Britain. In red National Electric boxes. National Electric was the Sovtek of the 60's and 70's: They re-labelled tubes from all over and exported them under their name. These are real Mullards with the dimpled dish getter. Will give you that famous smooth Mullard midrange, with a smidge more energy on top. Great tube if your system is a little relaxed, as they will give you more sparkle in the highs. You may hear a slight "ting!" through your speakers when you move switches, or tap on the preamp. This is normal." Their Siemans are way out of my price range.
What I have found in 6922 tube rolling is that siemens top to bottom are the most detailed, telefunken the most neutral, amprex very nice mids and base, mullards are a warm tube if your system tends to be bright a good option but perhaps not as detailed as the others.
Dennis