Gaining listening experience without spending money

I am always blown away at how many folks on here have experience listening to so many different pieces of equipment. As an average dude loving this rich mans hobby, how does one gain listening experience without blindly buying and trying? 
otterbein
It is all about referencing the sound from your music/system to something else. 

• Listen to systems at audio shows
  • Listen to systems at your dealer
  • Buy equipment from the second hand market. Sell them if you don't like the sound. 
  • Read the magazines and the forums for tips and info. 
  • Learn from other audiophiles, but avoid mister/misses know it all. They are just insecure and want to be admired. There are personal  tastes and opinions in audio. Everyone focusses on other parameters (tonal accuracy, spatiality, dynamics, lack of distortions, prat, etc...)
  • Move your speakers around and play with the room acoustics.
  • Produce music. Know how to record, mix and master yourself.
  • Tweak, tweak tweak....little things matter. 
  • 1 step back, 2 steps forward is normal for an audiophile.
  • Have reference recordings.
  • Most important: enjoy your system & listen to a lot of good music. 
  • Keep reasonable. Don't get audio nervosa. 
  • Get old

Audio Shows are where many of us hear the most high end equipment out there.  Some are shopping there but most just want to see / hear the Bugatti Chiron and Koenigseggs of the 2 channel Audio world.

Whats most fun about these shows though is zero’ing in on the exceptionally good sounding affordable equipment.  It’s refreshing to hear things that you love in a price range that you can afford with a little planning.

I’ve gotten most of my experience at Audio Shows and also by buying and selling at an unhealthy rate, lol.  I’m starting to slow down though now because I’ve heard a bunch, know what I like, and am over the hassle of buying, setting up, and then reselling.  
Mentioned above only once that I see,it is MANDATORY that you start with live music.If you don’t know what real instruments,in real space sound like you can never get where you want to be..
Also don’t drink the PRICE = performance coolaid,we live in a time were really excellent gear is available at working mans prices.Seek out budget kings that benefit from trickle down technology coming from award winning manufacturers.Sort out your room acoustics,especially echo..
Explore the differences between Solid State & Tube driven amplification after you know what to listen for & be ready for an epiphany when you discover tubes..Most of all be patient & research the possibilities in each link of the audio chain via the internet,gaining from others experience...At some point though you will have to put together a system & sort it out..By then you should know what kind of sound/tone you want & finding appropriate equipment is fairly easy then..
This is a hobby that people have spent rich amounts of money on, not a rich mans hobby. It is no different from any other hobby where people either with the cash, or through sacrifice have spent huge sums ... and just like other hobbies, that does not mean the best outcomes.

Yes, listen, but please, not at audio shows. Audio shows are an exercise in how poor you can make really expensive equipment sound. It is impossible in a poorly acoustic treated room to have "great" sound. That the audio press waxes poetic about these "awesome" systems at trade-shows and how wonderful they sound, is good evidence they are either blissfully or wilfully ignorant ... or selective in their hearing.

Your local quality dealer is usually (not always) a better place, as they often have properly set up rooms. Find out when they are not busy and visit then. Audio clubs are great, though seem to be waning.

Educate yourself about acoustics and room treatment. This will put you far ahead of most people who identify as audiophiles.

Personally, jump in. Yes, jump in. Give yourself a starting budget, and keep your system really basic. Streaming DAC, Amplifier, Speakers, acoustic treatment ... and set aside $50-100 for a basic microphone and learn how to use REW, which again will put you way ahead of most "audiophiles". Formulas work pretty good in regular rooms for speaker placement, but nothing like being able to measure and optimize.

$1000 on a basic streaming DAC, used amplifier, used speakers, and some basic cables can get you quite a nice sounding system. If you are handy with basic tools and can build your own acoustic panels, then for another $100-200, you can put together a half decent set of a few critical panels. Pass on the turntable to start. You will blow that whole budget just to get something decent.

I am going to say it again. Learn about acoustics and room treatment. Audiophiles who don’t are always chasing their tales with the latest tweak that "totally improved the system" ..... I mean really, how often can "totally improve the system"? Ask yourself this, what is more likely going to change how you perceive the sound, something like acoustics that makes an a change so significant it is easily measured with $100 of equipment, or something that no vendor seems to be able supply any measurable evidence to support? Yes amplifier/speaker cable/speaker combinations can have subtle differences in how they sound, but unless you are dropping serious money to start, it is not something to worry about yet.

One last point. You rarely listen to "equipment". Unless you are listening to a piece of equipment, in your own listening space, with your own speakers, and all your other own equipment in the chain, then what you are listening too is mainly speakers and how they interact with the room for the exact space you are sitting in, overlaid with some equipment that has some indeterminate impact on the overall sound. With the exception of things like a turntable that can have fairly unique sonic signatures, picking out subtle differences and assigning them to one piece of equipment is ... difficult (read near impossible).  Switching between a tube and solid state amp may be noticeable as well because one usually adds enough to the signal to be noticeable. Whether you like what it adds, that is a question only you can decide.
I’ve made a point of making friends with people on audio forums. Living in NJ I’m not far from a lot of like minded folks on AK and we would have meet ups several times a year. I’ve gone up into NY state and down to rural MD and into VA to meet with folks. My buddy and I even hosted two events in Cherry Hill NJ with attendees traveling quite some distance.
Every meet up we get to hear some new to us gear and are exposed to music we normally wouldn’t even know existed. We also normally have a swap meet, bring records along to sell and talk shop for hours.All of this unfortunately is on hold with the current issues going on but every one of us is sorely missing our time together. I’ve made a lot of good friends that I otherwise would have missed out on.
On Edit: Making friends and listening to other systems has steered me into my current system. Vinyl and MC cart, tube preamp, tube amp and Altec’s. Couldn’t be happier.

BillWojo