Why no interest in reel to reel if you're looking for the ultimate sound?

Wondering why more people aren't into reel to reel if they're looking for the ultimate analog experience? I know title selection is limited and tapes are really expensive, but there are more good tapes available now than ever before.
People refer to a recording as having "master tape quality",  well you can actually hear that master tape sound through your own system and the point of entry to reel to reel is so much more affordable than getting into vinyl.  Thoughts? 
128x128scar972
Very high cost plus very limited selection makes the firmst, however technically desirable, of very limited value. I’d rather have a huge selection in perfectly good fidelity at much lower cost. It’s about the music! If I can get into a tune playing on my car radio, I can live without the cost and selection compromises of RTR 
The Modjeski quote reveals why his Music Reference amplifiers are so trouble and maintenance free, unlike many of the more well-known and owned tube brands. RM was doing repair work in a shop while still in High School, and learned how NOT to build an amp.
I love on vinyl occasionally hearing the short, faint, ghost section of a tune right before the real section starts playing, caused by the tightly wound master tape imprinting itself onto the next layer. 
I have a Mcintosh mx100z preamp. It has a tape head input. I assume this could be used. But I’m confused as what it was meant for in its day. Were people going direct out of their decks back in the 60’s. And did they have direct output option back then?