High Output Preamp for First Watt SIT-3?

I'm new to the audiophile world and recently purchased a First Watt SIT-3 with Magnepan .7s.  I have a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge for streaming, though I prefer to play vinyl with my Mofi Ultradeck.  The Mytek serves as the phono stage (69dB gain for MM?), and I don't use a preamp;  the Brooklyn is connected directly to the First Watt. 

I understand that the SIT-3 is only 11.5 dB of gain, and that's extremely low compared to most amps.  I like most everything about the system except for the fact that I have the Mytek maxed out volume-wise many days.  Certain LPs are cut quieter, and I wish I had more power.  There are times streaming where the Maggies aren't getting to their sweet spot.  I realize the Maggies are a lower sensitivity speaker. 

What should I look for in a preamp to fully drive the SIT-3?  Eventually, I'd like to replace the phono stage instead of relying on the Brooklyn.  Is there a tube preamp featuring a phono stage with sufficient output to drive my amp in the $4k range?  Otherwise, I'm eyeing the Modwright PH 9.0 and a linestage preamp, realizing that this will probably be costlier.  I'm looking for a warm sound, not analytical but engaging. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.  I'm a working musician with a basic understanding of related electronics but little experience in this world. 

murphbass
Hi Al,
Usually JA uses 1% distortion/clipping as his reference point for measuring power output into a given impedance load.  Thus the <20 watts into 4 ohms I cited. However I agree with you that 2 or 3 % 2nd order harmonic distortion would very likely not be noticed or objected to in real world listening conditions. As Ralph (atmosphere) has noted on numerous occasions,  human hearing has much tolerance for 2nd order even distortion (but miniscule tolerance for higher odd order distortion).
Charles 
An easy and cheap way to try would be a Counterpoint SA-3000 preamp.  Muscial, can be upgraded to sound as good as mostly anything out there, has a phono and very good in stock form.  Buy one cheap and take a listen.  Easy to resell if not but if you like it then send it to me for the upgrades - capacitors, resistors, volume control, take the transistor out, etc.  I have one in now for the upgrades.  Easy on tubes also.

Happy Listening.
I had to chime in... I agree with others that it's a poor speaker / amp mismatch.    I have been using a pair of 40 w mono tube amps for a few years.  I pair them with a few lower sensitivity speakers and they were good, but when I connected a pair of Heresy III up they were such a much better combo.  Plenty of power on tap they are so efficient.   I have had them 2 years and amp going to move up to a Forte or maybe larger in the future.  

I heard a pair of the Forte III with the new Luxman 10 watt tube amp and it was scary lifelike.  I had a "non audio" buddy with me and he was blown away at how life like it sounded....   don't sell that amp what ever you , it just needs the right speaker to be jaw dropping

You may have to try a few different speakers  but it will be worth it
@oddiofyl 

Spot on about not selling the SIT3. With the proper speakers, OMG!
I also have the combination of a First Watt SIT-3 and Magnepan .7's. Like the OP I also made this choice largely on the basis of the Herb Reichert and Steve Guttenberg reviews. In my case I also have a similar sized listening room (10.5' X 12.5') to that of Herb Reichert, so I knew that I would not need as much power. In my space, the combo is absolutely wonderful at the listening levels I prefer. To the OP I would recommend checking out the Supratek line of preamps as possible high gain options. I have a latest generation Supratek Chardonnay and it is a wonderful combination with the SIT-3. Of course YMMV.
Greg