Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
I've loved reading all the history and learning about Thiel speakers in this amazing thread from Tom. But it has come time for me to part with my CS7's. They are beautiful speakers but I have too many constraints to do them justice. Hope to find someone that can showcase them in their home.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa223f-thiel-audio-cs-7-full-range

Cheers,
-Mike
fitter468 re PowerPlanes - I have never lived with PowerPlanes, but I have and use PowerPoint 1.2s, which are the same PowerDriver 6.5"x 1" coax. Pretty special. The woofer has dual front and rear cones with a styrene filler core, and the tweeter is the same as the 3.7, etc. I imagine that your PPlanes will have similar performance to the PPoints, which I call excellent by any measure. FWIW, I revised my installation to now have acoustic ceiling panel on the previous 1.5" felted foam roofing insulation, on 1/2" drywall on 2x6 studs, braced at their mid-point. It's a structurally rigid wall with progressively absorbent skin.

I now have a SS2 in the wall under the left speaker and hope to get my SS1 repaired for a right-channel matching subwoofer. The PPoint is -3dB at 80Hz with sealed box 12dB/ octave and the Thiel SSub Passive XO matches that transition for as seamless a hand-off as I've heard.

As you might have guessed by now, my installation is weird. My PPs are in a corner at 3' each from the corner with their tails near the ceiling. ( I couldn't get 4' due to physical constraints.) Their 45° vertical and horizontal launch from the symmetrical corner fills the room with little to no modes. A couple of potential problems were addressed. The vertical corner between them is filled with a 16" wide 45° floor to ceiling baffle. At the ceiling, there is a corner baffle at 45° to the ceiling for mounting drivers under test. The ceiling and floor behind the corner baffle have holes to vent back-pressure to the attic above and workshop below. That corner triangular void  is insulated in the back 2 walls, plus acoustic cellulose on the back of the plywood baffle. I can measure no resonances in it. The bottom 2' has no plywood front face, but rather solely a piece of acoustic tile to dump the 3-plane floor-corner walls bass pressure into the insulated corner void and leak into the attic above and the workshop below. The room ceiling is finished in drywall. Both exterior walls are finished with acoustic tile on foam board and the interior finish on the 45° baffle is F11 wool felt on acoustic tile. This setup is my third (and final!) iteration of the idea of a quiet corner. I can test drivers or musical instruments or recorded voice / ensemble in this corner and play it back in the same environment. Very revealing of what's going on. I like it.

The PowerPoints (and probably your PowerPlanes) produce a very solid, dense image with no discernible room or cabinet edge effects. Since they take no floor space, and present wonderful sound into the whole room and beyond, I would be happy with them as my sole playback source. Let us know how your PowerPlane installation shapes up.
zoso142

Welcome!  Hopefully your CS7 loudspeakers will find the next good home.  Can you speak about the rest of the system around this model?

Happy Listening!