Dbx encoded discs

Is anyone familiar with dbx encoded discs? I have a single recording (Pictures at An Exhibition/Nigh on Bald Mountain), but there were other recordings made. I have not found a catalog though.
128x128jcipale
Interestingly I ran into the few DBX records I have left.  Back in the day
I would buy one and copy it to a Teac A-3340S at 15ips.  It would make 
a perfect copy.  I don't remember the model number of the DBX "compander" as they were known.  But it had both record and tape functions (record/play), don't know why they were separate functions.

I hated Dolby at the time it always sounded like it was "pumping" to me, searching for the proper level.  Any one else have that experience?
barts
... Interestingly I ran into the few DBX records I have left ...
I would buy one and copy it to a Teac A-3340S at 15ips ... I don't remember the model number of the DBX "compander" as they were known. But it had both record and tape functions (record/play), don't know why they were separate functions.
The DBX compander was originally developed for tape, not LP, so it had to encode the tape in record and decode it on playback
I hated Dolby at the time it always sounded like it was "pumping" to me, searching for the proper level. Any one else have that experience?
That was common problem, because Dolby protocols (there were several) each required precise alignment of a reference level ("Dolby level"). That demanded that the deck's bias and EQ also be properly aligned so that it would be flat on playback. Many consumer machines either couldn't be properly aligned or wouldn't maintain alignment, and many users couldn't be bothered to set their deck up properly. So Dolby NR got a somewhat undeserved bad rap.

Dolby worked extraordinarily well when it was set up properly on a good deck, such as Nakamichi or Tandberg.
I had a DBX unit in my car. Big upgrade over Dolby b in noise and dynamics. Also had home unit. Loved it back in the day.