Advice on setting VTA

I have set it before, but not exactly certain if I’m going about it the right way. I am generally setting it by eye, eyeballing the botton of cartridge body to get it as parallel as possible, sometimes using a 3x magnifier to assist.  I have also in the past used playing cards as a reference for some cartridges, so I have something to fall back on. Generally using the cards stacked at the tonearm base, similar to using feeler gauges. I’ve read that using an index card on top of record can be a good way to set it due to the parallel lines on the card. My question is what am looking at to get parallel? The bottom of tonearm, top, or the bottom of cartridge? The tone arm is a carbon fiber/aluminum 9 inch pro-ject. It does appear to have a slight taper towards the headshell end of arm.
128x128audioguy85
This is really crazy making....raise/lower the rear end of the arm. This also increases/decreases vtf, and moves the stylus on the alignment jig....and screws around with azimuth. Every variable makes a difference...it may be a month or so until all the adjustments are as you like them.  Get a couple of pills ready....after 30minutes or so, go to sleep and resume your efforts tomorrow.
except exotic methods:

VTA/SRA is always last, as everything must be right and tight

cartridge (every connection back to pivot), needs to be TIGHT, to headshell/arm. azimuth can/often changes while tightening, do a final check, refine if needed.

Arm Post: perfect vertical alignment of the arm post, viewing down, straight in all 360 degrees, is needed so nothing changes throughout the arc across the lp outer track to inner track. If correct, raising and lowering the back of the arm should not change azimuth.

raising an arm, adjusting VTA/SRA, arm post must be ’loosened’, it needs to be tightened, both to preserve arm post vertical positioning, thus azimuth, and rigidity. then listen to change, it’s not easy.

azimuth is set viewing from front, adjusting left/right/ ... until stylus tip is straight down into the groove (90 degree angle), the grids on the transparent blocks help, and a mirror placed below the stylus reflects any variance, helps get it right. anti-skate off while setting azimuth so the arm stays put while viewing/adjusting.

look at the cantilever/tip, not the cartridge body, occasionally a stylus cantilever/tip is a squeak 'off' square with the body.

I’ve read that using an index card on top of record can be a good way to set it due to the parallel lines on the card. My question is what am looking at to get parallel? The bottom of tonearm, top, or the bottom of cartridge?

Armtube must be parallel to the record surface when the needle is in the vinyl groove. Most tonearms designed this way and a cartridge/stylus also will be in correct position if the tonearm tube is parallel to the record surface. This is very easy to adjust if your tonearm have VTA adjustment (on the fly or not).

So when your particular tonearm tube is parallel to the record your cartridge is not parallel ?

What is your cartridge then and what is the stylus profile on your cartridge? For some profiles a tiny difference in VTA is irrelevant (conical for example).

More important: Are you sure you can detect any difference when you change VTA slightly? Why you’re so concerned about it?

The tone arm is a carbon fiber/aluminum 9 inch pro-ject. It does appear to have a slight taper towards the headshell end of arm.

If this is your tonearm are you gonna say there is no recommendations regarding VTA setup in the manual from Pro-Ject ? Almost any toneam i know comes with the manual and recommendation how to set up VTA correctly.

There is not much info, no, in regards to setting VTA in manual. I’m not that concerned, it was just a question put out there out of curiosity as to how others go about setting their VTA. And yes, I personally can hear a difference in the VTA setting. Right now I have my hana el slightly ass down as I think it sounds nice this way. Too far tilted in opposite direction I feel it to be a bit harsher and the bass not as well defined. The only issue with the pro ject arm is it that it has a taper, it gets slightly narrower as it nears the headshell area of tonearm,  as I noted in prior postings. So to visually see parallel is not easy. That is why I’m going about checking VTA via viewing both top and bottom of cartridge to get it close. Yes, I understand I should be more concerned with viewing the actual stylus take etc. .. but without high magnification i cannot see it very clearly. I’m old.....