Direct Drive vs. Idler Drive vs. Belt drive

I'd like to know your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each drive system. I can see that direct drive is more in vogue over the last few years but is it superior to the other drive systems? I've had first-hand experiences with two out of the three drive systems but looking to learn more.
scar972
I have a belt drive turntable and I can say from MY experience that my direct drive seems a bit quieter to me. Never thought I would say that.
Is the Technics SP10 enough for me to experience many of the qualities direct drive has to offer?

Mike
How are all your new turntables comparing to your reel to reel? I’m on a similar journey with reel to reel as I am with vinyl.

@scar972

there are three different SP-10’s. the Mk2, Mk3 and new R.

and the MK3 and new ’R’ are 2 of the better direct drive choices. they can be very very good with the proper plinth. the MK3 also benefits from power supply upgrades.

i owned a Mk2 and a Mk3, both with Dobbins plinths, back in 2009-2011 and enjoyed them both

assuming you are referring to a Mk2; a step down from those other 2......but.....yes, if it is in good condition with a good quality high mass plinth then it should be able to display the positive aspects of direct drive. it is a great bang for the buck choice. the SP-10 Mk2 can be low noise and explosive sounding and a good one likely betters most under $10k new turntables i’ve heard overall.

as far as RTR and my turntables; the very best tapes are still better.......especially the 1/2", 15ips.; but my vinyl can now be equal or better than many of my tapes that use to be superior. the gap has closed to some degree. these days i am very selective about adding any tape due to this issue.
I’m wondering how can you say anything about "sound" of the drive itself if you can’t put this different type of drives in the same turntable ?

Most likely you’re comparing completely different turntable, no only with different drive system and plinth, but also with different tonearms, platter, armboards and cartridges.

I know only one modern turntable with two optional drive system inside it (Friction or belt, two direct current DC motors) user can switch between them, this turntable is Reed 3C . And when you can change the drive in the SAME turntable then you can say which one is better for your ears.

WATCH THIS VIDEO

But how can you say which drive is beter if your turntables are different (not only the drive is different) ?

You can say which turntable you like, but not the drive alone. Because same drive system can be awful on another turntable.

@scar972 If you want both optional drive in one turntable buy Reed and decide what you like, this will be a fair comparison, the rest is just speculation.

P.S. I'm happy with top quality Japanese vintage Direct Drive like Denon DP-80, Luxman PD-444, Technics SP-10mkII, Victor TT-101 ... and i want to assure they are all amazing. Motor vibration or bearing noise ... it is all myth and fear coming from belt drive users. 

@tzh21y

"Wow, you have sensitive ears. LOL"

The motor was naked for display purposes, and I held it next to my ear. The 2W precision motor was silent in the same test.
@chakster 

"Motor vibration or bearing noise ... it is all myth and fear coming from belt drive users."

No, it is demonstrable.