SUT vs. Phono preamp

On what basis is  the decision to chose  a SUT vs. a phonostage made?
boofer
@stereo5 that is good to know. I have a set of Cinemag 1254 transformers sitting here for a project. Now I can’t wait to hear them.
BillWojo
My phono stage is a Rega Aria, not exactly top of the line, but at $1500, no slouch either.

Ok, this is your phono stage

70 Ohm, 100 Ohm, 150 Ohm, 400 Ohm

63.5 db and 69.3 db

There are dip switch settings for all Rega MC cartridge models, but what about your MC cartridges, they are all Rega ?

A SUT can ring etc. so is not without possible sonic artifact. On the other hand a SUT more or less can't pass rfi which may bring a benefit to your phono considering the MC ultra high hf bump...so like most things audio comes down to specific implementation and pairing.
None are Rega; They are Benz Micro Gold, AT 33ev, AT F2, and your favorite Denon103D.  Haven't  tried it yet.  I usually use the vintage MMs, but recently wanted to play MCs against each other, which the Aria lets me do easily. MM's: At 12sa, at 440ml, shure v153 and M92e, Micro acoustcs 2002e,, Stanton 881s, and Empire 2000z, also  Goldring 1042, and many more.l The Stanton and Empire come in as  champions for overall performance..