Expectations after re cap of power-amp

My 1982 Yamaha M-2 power amp is in the shop and this time I agreed to replace all the suspect capacitors. Two of the capacitors are the size of coffee cans and the total bill may exceed $500. I am told that since all the replacement parts will be as good as or better than the original parts it should sound as good as new or better.

I’ve never done this before.  Should I expect “as good as new” or am I completely wasting my money?

timothywright
My worst fear would be that the amp would sound worse not better and I might waste the money invested and butcher what was once a well respected amplifier.

Done well, the worst thing you should expect is 30 years of trouble free use.
it will sound much better...but don't expect it to sound nearly as good as the Classe amps you really want...but definitely worth the cost to recap...
@jl35 

you are correct, this was my exact answer.

You should expect a much better presentation and open/airy ness to your sound.

enjoy
Well, couple of things are at play.

Modern electrolytics are usually much better. Longer life, lower inductance, and lower equivalent resistance, means better power supply but..

how much of this, if any translates into sound quality is very much design dependent, so I wouldn’t try to oversell it.

Oh, also, make sure to replace any decoupling caps near the amp boards too, not just the big oil cans next to the transformer, as well as using higher temp caps.  That can increase their lifespan.
I just had a Krell KAV 250 refurbished which I believe was mostly new caps and while it always was a touch tad or pinch ( not sure which) better than its KAV 250/3 partner in my system to my ears after the refur it does sound “fresher and cleaner”
and like the Krell svc mgr and several here have said it should give me another 15+ years of the Krell sound I enjoy.  By the way of the 675 or so cost the vast majority- not a complaint just a observation- is the labor.  I’d do it again without hesitation.